Proposed reconnaisance aircraft fitted with nose sensors.

Started by McColm, March 09, 2014, 02:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Hi Guys,
There are basically two types of reconnaissance aircraft.Those fitted with pods below the wings or under the center of the fuselage or those that have cameras or/and sensors carried in the nose.
Its the nose fitted reconnaissance aircraft that has gained my attention and I hope yours.
In the 'real world' the F/A-18 Hornet was converted to the single seat F-18R and built in small numbers,but the RF-18D was cancelled.
The Japanese have thought of using their F-15's in the recon but with a pod, and I have toyed with a RF-15.
I'm surprised that the BAe Hawk hasn't been whiffed.
The idea extends to fighter,bomber,cargo and training aircraft.
What about the Eurofighter Typhoon or RF-22?
I think that there was even a RF-117 at one time.
Any ideas?

Daryl J.

Had the YF-16 nose been produced, a small recce nose similar to that of the F-5A may have been a reasonable presumption.

Had the US Army gained a larger fixed wing operation in the 60's on forward, a recce nosed Sea Harrier FRS.1 might look great in that service.  That's one project up my sleeve.  Or an A-4, likely with a Charley nose. 

McColm

Daryl J.

It would indeed.  :thumbsup:

Academy goofed the radome shape on their 1:48 Fulcrum pretty badly and the thought of stretching it a bit for a camera nose might work well.   Now that the GWH kit is out, the error is more noticeable.   It might be an inexpensive way to get a RecceWhiff as the Academy kit can be found inexpensively at shows, and the other errors can be hidden with easy to make covers.

McColm

The F-8 Crusader was converted into the RF-8. Could the same be done on the A-7?
There are a few conversion kits, but these are becoming scarce.

Daryl J.

The A-7?   How about for service in Afghanistan?   The aircraft, according to some, was well suited for that situation.

McColm

Most bombers become reconnaissance aircraft, apart from the B-2 Spirit and B-1B.
Got a 1/72 B-1B in my stash.
Perhaps a recon version of the B747!!

rickshaw

Quote from: McColm on March 10, 2014, 02:20:04 AM
Most bombers become reconnaissance aircraft, apart from the B-2 Spirit and B-1B.
Got a 1/72 B-1B in my stash.
Perhaps a recon version of the B747!!

The Boeing 747 was to be designated C-19 in USANG service.   So, just like the C-135 (707) I'm sure the C-19 would have been adapted to ELINT duties.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

martinbayer

The SEPECAT Jaguar with a recce instead of a laser nose would make a subtle whiff.

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

McColm

Good one Martin.
Something much larger would use the Valiant camera pack in the weapons bay of the Nimrod. Got the Airfix Valiant additional parts kit, was thinking of using it on the Vulcan before I cut it up and used the wings on a C-97.

Scooterman

Quote from: McColm on March 09, 2014, 02:26:19 PM
In the 'real world' the F/A-18 Hornet was converted to the single seat F-18R and built in small numbers,but the RF-18D was cancelled.

Well, kinda.  There was only one single seat conversion to test the aerodynamics of a recce nose. F-18A(CR)

That lead to the USMC F-18D ATARS conversions that are assigned two or so to every VMFA(AW) squadron.

(images from da'net)

Just posting for officialdom.

McColm

Thanks,
If there any other pics please put them up.
Been surfing the net for resin, vacform or plastic conversion kits to use. Not as many as I thought.

TinMan

I had the opprotunity to work on the RF-4B in the early 1980's and that was the only way to make a recce. The camera bay was where the gun and magazine would have been. What a great aircraft!!
In my opinion, the RF-22 would not work. It was designed solely for air superiority. My candidate would be the F-18 or F-16. They are both good aircraft with good flight qualities. The F-16 would need a nose extention to house the camera pods while the F-18 could get away with just removing the gun and adding the cameras. I am glad this came up. I like using the old noggin' to trhnk about things! :bow:
TinMan

McColm

I've managed to get my hands on the old Airfix Banshee kit which comes with an alternative reccy nose. Just thinking of the Airfix Buccaneer . The Mirage or a Mig-23/27.

kitbasher

Quote from: McColm on March 10, 2014, 08:59:32 PM
Thanks,
If there any other pics please put them up.
Been surfing the net for resin, vacform or plastic conversion kits to use. Not as many as I thought.

I recall the original Italeri F-18A having a recce nose option, marketed as an RF-18.  Plenty of images to be found if you Google 'Italeri RF-18'.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter