Proposed reconnaisance aircraft fitted with nose sensors.

Started by McColm, March 09, 2014, 02:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Yup, the first Italeri (R)F-18 had this recce compartment as an extra clear part, plus optional parts for the front landing gear covers, as these are part of the fairing. It also offers the option to build a single seater or the tandem seater.

McColm

I think I've got one in my stash, can't have too many...

DarrenP

RF-14A/D

Also depends on the type of reconnaissance you're doing Radars, ELINT, Weather

RAF operated C130K with snoopy nose did wonder how it would look on a P3 Orion?

McColm

The topic is nose recon-photo/ cameras and not pods. Although the F-14 does seem a likely candidate to whiff a nose camera.
There are WP-3 Orions used for weather recon.

Weaver

Various random ideas:

Camera-nosed MiG-23? Havn't tried it, but my impression is that the camera nose from a Heller Viggen might be about the right size.

Camera-nosed Mitsubishi F1? There's a radar in there that could be replaced, probably with something like a Mirage IIIR, S-35E Draken or RF-5E nose.

I believe there was a real proposal for an RF-105: what if it had been adopted instead of the RF-101C?

Camera-nosed Buccaneer? The bomb-bay camera pack was never very popular as I understand it, so what about a dedicated recce version with cameras in the nose, IR Linescan in part of the bay and fuel in the rest of it/

How about an RA-4 Skyhawk? The USN would have little need of it, but maybe an export operator like Malaysia or Singapore would cook it up locally?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

McColm

Thanks for the ideas.
HighPlanes do the Mirage conversion nose. The RF Draken kit is expensive,haven't seen any conversion kits.Will check with Hannants stock.

Weaver

The Heller Draken and Viggen have camera noses in the box as standard. Unfortunately, the alternative parts are only the lower half of the nose cone, not the full thing, so you'd end up needing a new radome to make the donor kit buildable.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Why not buy the Italeri RF-18 kit? You can build as a 2 seater with the recce nose anyway, even if it doesn't mention that in the instructions. I had one for sale on eBay about a week ago..........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

I've got something similar from Falcon on the RF-8 and TF-8 vacform conversion..
Got the RF-4 nose to fit the Matchbox F3 Tornado, just looking for parts for the cockpit.
Haven't given up on a RF-15 Eagle , I did hear that the Naps were going to add reccy pods on the central line pylon. A navy version with F-22 wings.
There is a resin Mig-25 reccy nose as an aftermarket kit. That might fit on a F-111 or Su-24. Could use it on the Mig-33.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on May 31, 2014, 07:58:11 PM
There is a resin Mig-25 reccy nose as an aftermarket kit. That might fit on a F-111 or Su-24. Could use it on the Mig-33.

I've got one of those conversions. I think it'd be a pretty difficult fit on an F-111 as the nose tapers are so different. Even if it fitted it would look weird.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TallEng

The nose from italeri's RF-84 Thunderflash is a good starting point, I should imagine it would
Fit on a Sea Vixen, I know it fits on a Javelin, see below....

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,27314.0/highlight,javelin.html
And there for the build.

I'm sure with a bit more thought there would be a few more as well. :thumbsup:

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks