SIG! White Falcon is Go!!!!

Started by pwagner, March 11, 2014, 01:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwagner

So, about a month ago I'm looking at my Gerry Anderson shelf, particularly at the conspicuously bare spot I had reserved for something to make the collection complete – the White Falcon from New Captain Scarlet. In a fit of madness, I put aside my ongoing battle with the Airfix Harrier squadron and decided to scratch-build a White Falcon.

I had some reasonable plans from the internet, which I blew up to a good 1/72 scale, plus a little Corgi diecast Falcon to aid in constructing it. I considered many kits for the basis around which to build it – Rafale, Grippen, Typhoon, even thought seriously of cutting up a super-rare Monogram F-19, which seemed to have the right kind of intakes. In the end, however, I sacrificed an F-16XL kit.

To start with, I had to slit the rear fuselage, cut out some darts, and crush it in a vice to get the back half of the plane flat. This was fine for the upper fuselage, but the crushing of the lower fuselage pulled the lower half of the wings in, so they didn't fit the upper wings, to I had to split them from the body, spread them out again, and putty up the gap, and...well, you can tell I didn't really have a plan as such!

I've included some photos of it pre-painting, to give you an idea of what a dogs-breakfast of putty, spare bits and plastic card it really is!

IMG_0904 by puddingisacat, on Flickr

IMG_0905 by puddingisacat, on Flickr

IMG_0908 by puddingisacat, on Flickr

The canopy is from a Typhoon, the distinctive hump-back from some carefully moulded droptanks. The hardest bit was the nose, which is a very unique shape and was assembled out of a strange little droptank, part of a Mirage nose, and lots of putty and sanding. Then I sprayed it with Mr Surfacer (and sanded it, and sprayed it with Mr Surfacer, and sanded it, etc, etc) then sprayed it black.....

IMG_0913 by puddingisacat, on Flickr

....then white....

IMG_0914 by puddingisacat, on Flickr

...and – TA DA! Here is the result! I don't usually do shiny planes – much prefer dullcote – but the gloss just looked right here:

IMG_0940 by puddingisacat, on Flickr

IMG_0955 by puddingisacat, on Flickr

IMG_0949 by puddingisacat, on Flickr

IMG_0946 by puddingisacat, on Flickr

IMG_0943 by puddingisacat, on Flickr

IMG_0942 by puddingisacat, on Flickr

IMG_0941 by puddingisacat, on Flickr

So how did I do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8019cDHJPs

Thus completes a major work! If you would like to see the full collection in my little pan-Gerry-Anderson-Universe backstory, it is here:

http://galloglaigh.blogspot.com.au/

Paul

Dizzyfugu

Wow - THAT is lovely! Great idea, great execution, and great craftmanship!  :thumbsup:

Love it!  :wub:

Worth a nomination for the Whiffies, IMHO!

Spey_Phantom

excellent work, it looks exactly like the falcon interceptor from NCS  :thumbsup:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Cobra

Superb Job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Got Any other Master Works Planned? Keep up the Superb Work :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Knightflyer

Just been and read your pan-Gerry-Anderson-Universe backstory, brilliant!!! :bow: :party:
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

McColm

Old Wombat

Now, that is rather sweet! :thumbsup:

Plus: It's a kitbash, of course it's got bits of styrene card & putty all over it, it's meant to... it's not a kitbash if it doesn't! ;)

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

That looks awesome ! You wouldn't even recognize the base kit...very well done. And you're right, it definitely looks good 'shiny' !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Father Ennis

That is just incredible !!!    :wub: :wub: :wub:   :cheers:

lancer

If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

TsrJoe

brilliant modelling, beautifully executed and finished too  :wub:

cheers, Joe  :bow:
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

PR19_Kit

What a wonderful piece of work, you can't see a single join.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Ed S

Excellent kitbash.  Really good looking model.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.