Apparently, I'm a "bad influence" :)

Started by Alvis 3.14159, March 12, 2014, 01:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alvis 3.14159

One of the guys at work was building the Hasegawa 1/32 P-26 and was grousing about what paint scheme to do it in. By the time I got finished talking, this is what he wound up deciding to make.

Backstory:

Overrun and on the run, American forces in the Philippines were in chaos. The Japanese offensive caught them only partially prepared, and planes like the P-26 Peashooter were not up to the task of defending Philippine airspace. In the chaos, one lone P-26 appears to have made it out, somehow loaded as cargo on an outgoing freighter. Somehow, against all odds, it made it to Burma, itself under attack from Japan, and soon was grounded due to landing gear damage. It was there that an enterprising Marine mechanic spied a set of floats from a Tiger Moth, and set about attaching them to the Peashooter.
The next few weeks is unclear, and nobody has been able to find out how the little Boeing fighter made it's way to Darwin, in Australia. However, on the morning of February 28th, a small single engined floatplane was spotted approaching Darwin. After an initial fear of it being part of an attacking force, ground spotters identified it as a P-26 and it was soon impressed into RAAF use.
Sporting an American Intermediate Blue over Grey paint scheme, RAAF markings and floats, the Peashooter (Or Seashooter as it became known) became a valued asset for Australian forces around Port Moresby. Scouting and small interdiction was a role it excelled in, as it was easy to conceal, nimble, and reasonably fast. It had been upgunned to two .50 cal guns, and carried 2 100 pound bombs, or 5 31 pound anti-personnel bombs. A Pratt and Whitney Hornet engine, along with a three bladed prop had also been "found" and adapted to the P-26. This helped counteract the higher all up weight the plane had grown to with the addition of the floats. It became a favourite plane amongst the Coast Watchers, as it was hard to spot from the air when pulled into the growth along the shores, and on more than one occasion was used to evacuate wounded personnel, who had to endure a terrifying flight strapped to the wing!

Thanks to "Mark 2" for his plane. Floats came from a Matchbox 1/32 Tiger Moth, decals from his spares bin. The insanity was apparently contagious!

Knightflyer

Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Rheged

Quote from: Knightflyer on March 12, 2014, 02:08:16 AM
That is absolutely gorgeous!  :o :wub:

Agreed!!  Both the Seashooter and its backstory  are  magnificent!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Dizzyfugu

Uh, letting those bombs go might be... exciting?
Nice idea, looks very natural with the swimmers.  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

What a brill piece of work!  :thumbsup:

Sign him up for the Forum!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

That's excellent: splendid piece of work!  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

I think you were a very good influence! Great workmanship and great creativity.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Go4fun

Quote from: Rheged on March 12, 2014, 02:20:05 AM
Quote from: Knightflyer on March 12, 2014, 02:08:16 AM
That is absolutely gorgeous!  :o :wub:

Agreed!!  Both the Seashooter and its backstory  are  magnificent!!

I'll make it three for a quorum.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

Captain Canada

Shame on you Alvis ! Turning regular folk into fun loving whiffers  :thumbsup:

Love it. Looks a natural, that's for sure. Great story too.

:tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

deathjester

McColm

JayBee

Alvis,

clearly you are a bad influence, imagine encouraging anyone to build in 1/32 scale.  :rolleyes:

However the end result does look fantastic.

Now all you have to do is get him to do it in the gentleman's scale (1/72) and post pictures.  :wacko:

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Leading Observer

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Hotte