P-38, jet powered, project BUNSEN- finished

Started by sandiego89, March 14, 2014, 02:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Ditto about the new nose. Makes it look faster even when standing still.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

Agreed. The new nose does look good....sleeker. Wonder if it will even be noticeable once the guns are in tho ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Thanks guys, yes the nose does actually look better with the 88 nose cone. Tempting me to do a different weapon set up. Perhaps a pair of 20mm? Photo recon? Hmmmmm.  Thanks to the carpet monster for giving me this dilemma.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

sandiego89

Complete, turbojet powered P-38, with twin Welland engines.

Project BUNSEN called for us manufactures to quickly adopt existing aircraft to jet power.  Several Welland engines were shipped to the US and were built under license by General Electric.

BUNSEN guidelines issued in 1943 called for minimal airframe changes as possible, with the desire that aircraft could be switched to jet power at overseas depots, or at stateside modification centers, without a disruption to production lines.

Below is the Lockheed prototype rolled out at Burbank.

The Kit- a very old Matchbox 1/72 kit found on the bargain bin at a local hobby shop.  Forward nacelles from a 1/48 me-262.  New jet pipes from bent aluminum, and some cockpit mods.  I wanted to keep this one simple, in honor of the BUNSEN guidelines and in keeping with a rather basic kit. 

Dave "Sandiego89"

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

FAR148

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

Quote from: Tophe on March 15, 2014, 10:52:01 AM
Interesting project! I plan to draw the final result in my gallery of fantasy Lightnings. :thumbsup:
I've done it... with further developments, less easy to include on the production line but maybe more adapted to the jet(s):

Thanks again, sandiego89! :cheers:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

sandiego89

Thank you Tophe, those look great.

Thanks for the comments guys.  I enjoyed the project, I could have gone hog wild on it, but kept it simple.  My first use of bent aluminum, and no I won't go into how to pronounce it correctly.  ;D

Dave- sandiego89
Dave "Sandiego89"

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McGreig

I really like this, especially your solution to the jet exhausts  :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

Nice work ! She looks awesome finished....love the colours as well. Would have been quite the surprise for the enemy when that showed up out over the battlefield !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

The bent exhaust pipes make me think turbo prop.
Excellent build! Great idea, great execution.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise