Main Menu

First FTL ship

Started by Mr Ten, March 16, 2014, 01:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Ten

Hi everyone !  ;)
My next scratch is : " the first FTL ship from Earth "... A bit ambitious... and showy ! :lol: :lol:
FTL is of course for "faster than light", and the name of the ship will probably be something like...  Alcubierre :rolleyes: (guess why...  :lol:)

The first pic isn't impressive, not to say ugly :unsure:

You can see my faithfull saw, and 2 sikorski s-58/Wessex fuselages mutilated and sacrified on the sci-fi altar !
This is the first step, and a there is looooong walk before the end !! :mellow:

Knightflyer

Ahhhh, the wonders of Wikipedia!  ;D

"proposed by theoretical physicist Miguel Alcubierre, by which a spacecraft could achieve faster-than-light travel if a configurable energy-density field lower than that of vacuum (i.e. negative mass) could be created. Rather than exceeding the speed of light within its local frame of reference, a spacecraft would traverse distances by contracting space in front of it and expanding space behind it, resulting in effective faster-than-light travel."

I'm presuming it 'warps' space then ....as referred to in an ever so slightly popular sci-fi show?

Looks intriguing so far, it'll be interesting to watch this develop.......as you boldly go ;)
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Captain Canada

Mutilated and sacrificed at the sci-fi altar ? I love it !

Poor choppers tho.....love that airframe  :blink:

But this does look intriguing !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

deathjester

Okay, settle down people, break out the knitting, and prepare for a display of sheer professionalism!  This ought to be good... :thumbsup:

kerick

Helicopters seem to lend themselves to space ship conversions as they don't automatically look like jet aircraft. Therefore, the source of the parts is a little harder to pick out. Makes it a lot more believable to me. Looks like a good start.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Leading Observer

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Old Wombat

This should be good! :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

BTW, where did you get that razor saw, Pampered Chef? Nice handle.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

lancer

Quote from: kerick on March 18, 2014, 03:03:51 PM

Nahhh, thats a Citadel razor saw. I've got one and they're bloody good to boot.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Mossie

Intersting use of two Wessexes, should be good watching this unfold.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Steel Penguin

Kerick  like Lancer,  the Razor saw looks a lot like the one games workshop sell in the UK.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Devilfish

Looks good. 

I'm amassing parts for a "not quite FTL" ship, which will be designed to explore our Solar System.  My idea being that at the speed of light it would take 5 hours to cross our SS.  Taking into account acceleration and deceleration times (this isn't Star Trek you know, lol) I reckon we can double that to 10 hours.  With a ship that can do 0.9 of the speed of light then I'm going to double that to 20 hours.  That makes it a feasible exploration and survey ship, also capable of intercepting rogue comets etc.

kerick

Those long boring commutes to Jupiter!  :lol:
Tophe the Wise

deathjester

Quote from: kerick on March 18, 2014, 03:03:51 PM
The handle is patterned after a Space Marine Combat Knife - and yes, their tools are really nice.

Mr Ten

Hi ! And big thanks for your comments ! ;D
I'm happy to post on this fabulous forum :rolleyes: ,but i actually have soooo little time to do ! :banghead:

Indeed... helicopters can make interesting starships, and I used 2 old revell kits (which are - according to Serious modellers :lol:- outdated now by newer ones from Italeri and MRC, so no regrets... :lol:) as a base, and stuck bottom to bottom.
This breaks the original shape of the choppers, and creates also a kind of "symmetry". Of course, the undersides were erased before joining.
The next step is to reinforce the inner structure with... Simply big straws !! ;)
They are easy to cut and very strong once glued with some cyano bond.

Now, the ship is ready to receive the fusion core with magnetic shields, titanium and other lead plates... ;D Before a trip to the Oort cloud... Let's dream ! :rolleyes: