Main Menu

First FTL ship

Started by Mr Ten, March 16, 2014, 01:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

That looks great now it's finished - nicely done.

Yesterday, in a 2nd hand bookshop, I saw the old sci-fi paperback who's cover must have inspired this, whether consciously or subconsciously, but assuming it was mentioned in the thread, I didn't buy it. Now I've just realised that it isn't mentioned in the thread..... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

(Can't go back to the shop before next week either  :rolleyes: )

EDIT : FOUND IT ON THE WEB!!!

It's Catchworld by Chris Boyce (1977), illustration by Chris Foss :

Image from Chris Foss's website : http://www.chrisfossart.com/
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

zenrat, if you haven't already, search the site for Mr Ten's other builds - awesome stuff! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Mr Ten

wow ! thanks ! :cheers:
Indeed :party:, i was inspired by "catchworld".

I've always been fascinated by the shape of this ship. It seems so strange... Weirdo... But also so real... How could you explain it ?
My Alcubierre ship is a rendition of this concept, with some technobabbage (seriously? :blink:)... :lol: :lol:

The colors yellow/black were inspired by some other paintings : lost worlds, norman conquest 2066...

Now, back to the building :

You can see on this pic most of the various parts which will be integrated : Babylon 5 various details (Revell), Star Trek Enterprise warp engines waiting to be cut (Polar Light), and some others from old japanese zoids and junks from my scrapbox. The strange small "tree" is not actually in place, it 's the continuum inflater needed to keep space expanded behind the ship. The experience is still in progress ! :lol:

Now, the undercoat of white. The mig 1-44 in front of the ship is a 1/144 model by revell. This gives you an idea about the size. ;)

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Weaver on July 10, 2014, 04:41:47 AM
That looks great now it's finished - nicely done.

Yesterday, in a 2nd hand bookshop, I saw the old sci-fi paperback who's cover must have inspired this, whether consciously or subconsciously, but assuming it was mentioned in the thread, I didn't buy it. Now I've just realised that it isn't mentioned in the thread..... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

(Can't go back to the shop before next week either  :rolleyes: )

EDIT : FOUND IT ON THE WEB!!!

It's Catchworld by Chris Boyce (1977), illustration by Chris Foss :

Image from Chris Foss's website : http://www.chrisfossart.com/

I've got that book somewhere.  You missed nowt -it's awful.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

buzzbomb

Wonderful job and the finish is outstanding

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: