BAe EAP ....there was a second one built?

Started by Knightflyer, March 19, 2014, 01:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knightflyer

Instructions for Viewing

Stand 3 feet (1 metre) away from your screen
Cover one eye
Squint through the other

Okay that should help hide the failings of my middling modelling skills ....think of this as a rough sketch in plastic!  ;) :lol:

Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Captain Canada

Beauty ! The colour scheme is awesome ! No complaints here....and I even got up close with both eyes open !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

I could have sworn they went into squadron service with the RAF. Hardly surprising that at least one example was held by Boscombe Down....  ;D

Super job there, was it the Pegasus kit, or....?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 20, 2014, 04:01:37 AM
Super job there, was it the Pegasus kit, or....?

Yes the Pegasus kit, a little bit beyond me modelling-wise, although I learned a few things along the way.

It sort of looks like what I wanted it to though, and I haven't the patience some of you guys show when it comes to filling and sanding

I refer to these sort of models as 'Bette Midlers' because they look okay 'From A Distance'  ;D Referring to the song of course, not Bette Midler herself!  :o ;D

NARSES2

Looks a natural in that scheme  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Knightflyer on March 20, 2014, 04:17:18 AM
It sort of looks like what I wanted it to though, and I haven't the patience some of you guys show when it comes to filling and sanding

Me to. I get to the point, and that can change according to my mood, where it stops being enjoyable and I stop and say "close enough for Government work". I'll never be a great modeller but I enjoy it  :thumbsup: I can only stand back and admire a lot of the PSR work on the site
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Cheers knight, well done!

White is a very difficult color for most everyone, especially with brushing.  My advice to anyone wanting to improve is move up to spray paint cans.  Buy a cheap rattle can from the hardware store and spray the whole model white (or the lightest color). Then you can paint the other colors with cans or brush.  Experiment on a old model.   

I like it.

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

TinMan

Nice color scheme. It really stands out beautfully!  :thumbsup:
TinMan

Knightflyer

Hi Gents

Thanks all for your comments, my model is far from being perfect, but it's nice to have it's good points appreciated  :thumbsup: ;D

Quote from: sandiego89 on March 20, 2014, 10:22:54 AM
Cheers knight, well done!

White is a very difficult color for most everyone, especially with brushing.  My advice to anyone wanting to improve is move up to spray paint cans.  Buy a cheap rattle can from the hardware store and spray the whole model white (or the lightest color). Then you can paint the other colors with cans or brush.  Experiment on a old model.   

I like it.

-Dave

Yes Tinman (Dave)...I don't like white!  :-\ Annoyingly I have used spray can white before, so I can do it, I think with this kit being so rough to begin with I was never going to put a lot of effort into making it look any more than okay (though conversely spraying it would've taken less effort!) From your comment are you saying to have the whole model white initially (ie no masking except cockpit, undercarriage)  rather than just white to the areas where it appears on the finished model?

Masking (for stripes at least) is one of the areas where I do feel I'm making some headway, I do LOVE a good set of Suez Stripes  ;D (though wouldn't it be good if somebody manufactured masking tape the same width as 'invasion stripes' to scale!  :smiley:)

I could have sworn they went into squadron service with the RAF. Hardly surprising that at least one example was held by Boscombe Down....  ;D

No Kit, you must be thinking of the BAe EAW (Experimental Aircraft WHIFF!) there were literally dozens of them in squadron service  ;)

Basic backstory for this model
Shortly after the first EAP flew this second aircraft was also produced, but into a much more secret environment. It was jointly used by BAe and the MOD to test the effectiveness of radar in detecting and the effectiveness of the new composite materials in reduce radar detection. It also helped in the development of tactics to combat the forth -coming new generation of fighter aircraft, acting as an impromptu aggressor aircraft on occasion for the F.3 Tornado.

With the retirement of the 1st EAP in 1991, and the arrival of Eurofighter in 1994 the second EAP came out of the shadows. Because it was now a unique aircraft, the director of Boscombe Down, Wilbur Henry Iff decided it needed a unique scheme. The normal (well as normal as a non-standard scheme can be) 'raspberry ripple' scheme was tweaked, mainly by the altering of the angle of the demarcation lines on the wings, to show off to advantage the 'arrowhead' planform of the EAP. W.H.Iff and his team did consider making further alterations, but in the end decided not to, as in his words ..."the aircraft was already only a small respray away from looking like it was auditioning for the Red Arrows!"

One small point for the keen eyed amongst you ...the serial number is two on from ZF534, the 1st EAP, might there be more we haven't been told?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Knightflyer on March 21, 2014, 03:19:26 AM
From your comment are you saying to have the whole model white initially (ie no masking except cockpit, undercarriage)  rather than just white to the areas where it appears on the finished model?

That technique works quite well, I've used it on airliner models for many years and the all-over white gives you a good background for most other colours, except maybe for black.

I could have sworn they went into squadron service with the RAF. Hardly surprising that at least one example was held by Boscombe Down....  ;D

No Kit, you must be thinking of the BAe EAW (Experimental Aircraft WHIFF!) there were literally dozens of them in squadron service  ;)

Ah yes, sorry, but close counts....  ;D

With the retirement of the 1st EAP in 1991, and the arrival of Eurofighter in 1994 the second EAP came out of the shadows. Because it was now a unique aircraft, the director of Boscombe Down, Wilbur Henry Iff .......

Hehehe, sheer genius there!  :thumbsup:

One small point for the keen eyed amongst you ...the serial number is two on from ZF534, the 1st EAP, might there be more we haven't been told?

The WhiffWorld is for ever in the debt of the bloke who invented the 'blackout blocks'!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 21, 2014, 03:32:12 AM

With the retirement of the 1st EAP in 1991, and the arrival of Eurofighter in 1994 the second EAP came out of the shadows. Because it was now a unique aircraft, the director of Boscombe Down, Wilbur Henry Iff .......

Hehehe, sheer genius there!  :thumbsup:

You must know his cousin as well Kit....Sir William Hiff ?  :rolleyes:

sandiego89

[/quote]

From your comment are you saying to have the whole model white initially (ie no masking except cockpit, undercarriage)  rather than just white to the areas where it appears on the finished model? [/quote]

Exactly.  As Kit agrees, white overall is a great base for the rest of the model. Then you can just spray other colors over it and no worries over butting two colors up to each other as there is an overlap.  You want the lightest color on first.  If you go white over red for example the red bleeds through.  Your masking skills look just fine from looking at the red on the wings. I usually use cheap painters tape.   

Dave -sandiego89
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

McColm

Knightflyer

Why thank you kind Sir!  ;D I've an itch to do a Eurofighter Typhoon in a scheme similar to this one now....maybe losing the 'red rear' and mutating to a cross between Raspberry Ripple and Red Arrows  :unsure: