Main Menu

Peg Flight

Started by puddingwrestler, March 22, 2014, 12:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

Right. Don't say I didn't warn you. Even though I didn't.

WINGS OVER AFSPONGHISTAHN

Being a background to Peg Flight

The year is 1936 on a world very similar to Earth, and war has come to Afponghistahn. A new and wondrous mineral, Thrudnium, has been discovered. Found only in this tiny, rocky country, Thrudnium could make whoever controls it the most powerful nation in the world. Now the poor peasants of Afsponghistahn gaze in awe as the planes of the world's mightiest nations thunder overhead in an epic struggle to conquer there previously ignored homeland.

The Combatants:

DHAARPHISTHAN:

Colours: Green and Orange.
Distinguishing design traits: Biplanes.
   Under the leadership of their shadowy tyrant, The Dark Dog of Dhaarphisthan, the green and orange war planes of this surprisingly well equipped neighbor of Afsponghistahn now fly to war. Dhaarphisthan is just over the border, a rugged, hot and desolate mountain country shrouded in mystery. It's unnervingly modern technology came as a surprise to the more civilized combatants, and has lead to a string of victories.

THE DUCHY OF ZOLTRAVIA:
FLAG PENDING - it's on my old computer I think.
Colours: Purple and Yellow.
Distinguishing design traits: Pusher propellors.
   Zoltravia is a fiercely independent country, surrounded by more powerful neighbors. Their leader, Grand Duke Zoltan XII seeks stability for his country by controlling Afsponghistahn's Thrudnium deposits. Zoltravia is forced to produce all of her military equipment internally, thanks to hostile neighbors. This has lead to the tiny nation deploying some wonderfully silly machinery. Other nations had a good laugh about this, until they met it in combat.

IMPERIAL HËMMUNNËK

Colours: Grey and Black.
Distinguishing design traits:Twin tails.
   A mighty central power with a large and aggressive empire, Hemmunnek is vying for the position of the most powerful civilization in the world. Her people are dedicated and fearless, and fiercely loyal to Kaiser Ekkheaden XXV. Their warplanes are tough and powerful, painted in humorless grey and adorned with the black cross of the Ekkheaden dynasty.

THE UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BUMBLE AND FLYLAND

Colours: Green and Red.
Distinguishing design traits: Fixed undercarriage.
   Although a small island nation, Great Bumble has carved out the largest empire the world has ever seen, thanks to brilliant men of science and industry. Her people are highly patriotic, and see it as their duty to control Thrudnium in the name of all mankind. The Royal Aero Flotilla has dispatched its finest pilots and machines to Afsponghistahn, where they have already notched up numerous victories.

THE UNITED STATES OF ARBORICA

Colours: Red, white and blue.
Distinguishing design traits: Twin fuselages.
   A young and ambitious nation, Arborica is home to some of the most brilliant minds, and clings to ideals of freedom and democracy. The Arboricans are determined than old-fashioned monarchies; vile dictators and oppressive governments shall never control Thrudnium. Their air force, resplendent in silver with red, white and blue trims are a common sight over Afsponghistahn

REPUBLICA SAN TORTA

Colours: Green and Red.
Distinguishing design traits: Seaplanes.
       The tiny island nation of San Torta plays a disproportionate part in global politics. It's wealth, enlightened education system, and sloth breeding program are the envy of the world. Now, San Torta has sent a contingent of the STAF to Afsponghistahn to make a bid at global power. Resplendant in their green paint with red wedge markings, the STAF list their objectives as: victory, pencil thin moustaches, flamboyant silk scarves and introducing decent cake to the Afsponghistahnis.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

ericr

Quote from: puddingwrestler on April 14, 2014, 02:59:17 PM
I have built a seaplane. It was the very first model. I realise that the peg planes are in San Tortan colours, but it takes twice as many pegs to build a seaplane, so I was trying to economise. I'm working up a fictional country now for my planes. Then I will develop an opponent coutry, and make detailed instructions on how to build the fighters of both sides.
Besides - seaplanes have exactly the same rules as land planes. The game doesn't go into THAT much detail.

indeed, a floatplane! it does cost pegs ...
A flying boat might have a less deviating cost?  ;)

puddingwrestler

A peg flying boat would be pretty much the same as any other peg plane in shape, apart from some wing-tip floats. It'd mostly come down to paint job, and I'm trying to make them distinct in shape.

Go4fun

"Honey, have you seen my pegs? I want to hang the laundry out". :o
"Just which planet are you from again"?

NARSES2

Quote from: Go4fun on April 15, 2014, 03:27:17 PM

Yup. I can imagine how that develops  :wacko: "but it's for the kids, honest" - "Oh yea, and who's the biggest kid ? followed by a roll of the eyes  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Go4fun

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 16, 2014, 07:21:42 AM
Quote from: Go4fun on April 15, 2014, 03:27:17 PM

Yup. I can imagine how that develops  :wacko: "but it's for the kids, honest" - "Oh yea, and who's the biggest kid ? followed by a roll of the eyes  :rolleyes:
My 2nd wife (I'm a slow learner) was asked once by a lady noting a family outing when we had my two sons from my first marriage "How many boys do you have". X2 replied "Three on the weekends".
"Just which planet are you from again"?

puddingwrestler

It helps that wooden pegs are pretty much awful for hanging out washing since they rot. I am not married, but I buy separate, plastic pegs for washing and keep my good wooden ones for modelling.

puddingwrestler

This Saturday is the day of GEEKFEST 2015 (Huzzah! Woot! Loudl cheers, and a rousing chorus of the national anthem [any national anthem, I'm not fussy])
In preperation for the Pegflight event, I have spent yesterday afternoon and some of this morning building up numerous squadrons to fight it out in the clear blue skies over the floor. Behold!

A flight of Vasherschlaegel JX.VII Mottes of the Black Cross squadron

A trio of potent Willmington Wombat heavy fighters of the Red Cowl squadron

Three Fulcrington-Wippet Pterodactyls of the Purple Wingtip flight

A trio of SPA-14B Castor Salvaje float planes of the San Tortan Air Force (wearing their away game uniform marking of green triangles instead of the more usual red markings)

Three Grosseman Ente heavy amphibians of the Blue Lightning squadron

A flight of Acrington-Smythe Crusaders of the Yellow Squadron

The full might of a trio of Spangler Liberty XIIs of the Orange Squadron. Not to be conufsed with the Crumhorn D-7 Aardvark. These have the sponkler valves on the outside of the flectrum manifold, and the leading edge de-icers run on metric electricity.

and last, but not least:

The world's first model of the Scarlett Rapier, personal seaplane fighter of the Scarlett Sloth, Sentinel of the Skyways and Alberto, Wonder Boy Aviator! (seen here in it's unpainted state, as it appeared in The Steam-Driven Gorilla Army of Dr. Cara Malvada del Pato)

PR19_Kit

I'm not quite sure what you're on Puddingwrestler but it's pretty powerful stuff!  ;D

Great work nonetheless.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

"Steam-Driven Gorilla Army"

Yea Gads, sir!  Have they no shame?  The mind boggles as to what effect this will have on the Air-Powered Bonobo Navy!   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

One can just sit down, smile and admire  ;D :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.