The Rare White Tailed Tiger

Started by NARSES2, March 24, 2014, 08:04:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

When the F.A.A. received 50 Tigercats via lend lease in late 1945 it in all honesty did not know what to do with them. Some indeed wondered if the U.S.N. did and that, that was why they had got them. They were too large for existing carriers and possibly for the so for the new Malta class currently under completion. The F.A.A. did not have any Pacific bases where their range would be useful and the U.S.N./U.S.M.C. was not prepared to share theirs.

Therefore the F.A.A. offered to attach its Tigercat squadron (832) to the Banff wing of R.A.F. Coastal Command where its range and armament fit would presumably be very attractive to the R.A.F. Their Airship's were not particularly happy with this offer however.  Whilst "happy" to have F.A.A. aircraft attached to other strike wings they wanted to keep the Banff wing to themselves for publicity reasons with an eye already on the post war world and the inevitable budget struggles to come. However political pressure forced their hands and in the end they had to accept the Admiralty's kind offer.

Their final proviso however was that the aircraft had to be clearly marked to prevent any possible confusion with Luftwaffe twin engine aircraft and thus the aircraft gained their white tails. This possible confusion was obviously another delaying tactic as all the wings existing aircraft were twin engine and is just another example of inter service politics even in a time of war.

Here then is a Grumman Tigercat S.F.1 of 832 Squadron Fleet Airarm when part of the Banff strike wing in 1946. It's the Revell kit which I think is the old Monogram one. It really is a credit to the designers back in the day when she was tooled as though being very simple in construction she goes together wonderfully and puts many a new tool to shame. Paints are automotive sprays for the main finish, Appliance White and Rover Midnight Blue, with my normal odds and sods for finishing. Transfers are from the spares box and the serial was worn by an Avenger just in case anyone asks. All together a lovely build and I'll keep my open for another of these.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Go4fun

I saw what you did there, with that "4F" rating on the flanks! In the U.S. Military Draft System "4F" meant "Women & Children first, THEN we'll think about putting you on the lines". :o
"Just which planet are you from again"?

Dizzyfugu

Nice! The white tail is a pretty detail.  :thumbsup:

I thought it could have been a smoke generator machine - some A-20s wore similar white markings on D-day.

PR19_Kit

I DO like that Chris!  :thumbsup: :bow:

The backstory is wholly believable as well and I'm glad my tip for the Midnight Blue paint turned out OK.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

lancer

That is a real beauty. I've always thought about getting a couple of them, but never knew what to do with them.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

The Wooksta!

Nice but I'd take issue with the scheme - Pacific, I could accept but anything over Europe would have gone through an MU and got an Atlantic scheme.

Definitely the old Monogram kit.  I've got one somewhere slated for the FAA, although it'll get two Centaurus engines and a bubble hood.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Captain Canada

Gorgeous. Looks so right in that colour/ marking scheme. I think the white tail makes it look even more sleek !

Nice job Chris. I really like this one. Might steal the idea some day too !

:thumbsup: :tornado: :cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Wow, really nice.  Great paint.

Does the Revell kit allow a 2 seater?

She must be a natural tail sitter, glued to the display base? 

Rellay like it  :thumbsup:
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

rickshaw

That's nice Chris.  She looks quite good.  I seem to remember from decades ago building one of those but it had massive rivets or am I thinking of a different Revell kit?   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: Go4fun on March 24, 2014, 08:51:32 AM
I saw what you did there, with that "4F" rating on the flanks! In the U.S. Military Draft System "4F" meant "Women & Children first, THEN we'll think about putting you on the lines". :o

;D ;D ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 24, 2014, 04:38:29 PM
Nice but I'd take issue with the scheme - Pacific, I could accept but anything over Europe would have gone through an MU and got an Atlantic scheme.

Can't disagree with that Lee, but  she was probably intended for the BPF and then ended uup in Scotland. That's my story and I'm sticking to it  ;D

Quote from: sandiego89 on March 25, 2014, 05:19:23 AM
Does the Revell kit allow a 2 seater?

She must be a natural tail sitter, glued to the display base? 

Unfortunately single seat only I'm afraid. As for tail sitting. I stuffed an awfull lot of lead weight in the nose and the front of the tank and she sits on her nose just. You could always get more in the nacelles

Quote from: rickshaw on March 25, 2014, 05:34:06 AM
That's nice Chris.  She looks quite good.  I seem to remember from decades ago building one of those but it had massive rivets or am I thinking of a different Revell kit?   :thumbsup:

Must be a different kit. This has raised panel line, very fine, but no rivets

I've got one somewhere slated for the FAA, although it'll get two Centaurus engines and a bubble hood.

I did think of Centaurus engines but not the bubble canopy.

Mossie

The white tail sets the blue off nicely Chris.  I do like the Tigercat, she's excellent whiff fodder. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Knightflyer

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 25, 2014, 07:59:16 AM

Can't disagree with that Lee, but  she was probably intended for the BPF and then ended uup in Scotland. That's my story and I'm sticking to it  ;D

Little bit confused  :unsure: I know what Lee is saying about the colour scheme (I'm presuming Atlantic = Dark Sea Grey/Slate Grey/Sky?) but where do the Avengers,Hellcats (Wildcats?) and Corsairs fit in with the Dark Blue but European theatre type roundels that you see photos of? Plus as this is a Whiff it doesn't deviate too far from the 'norm' does it?
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

NARSES2

Quote from: Knightflyer on March 25, 2014, 10:45:07 AM

but where do the Avengers,Hellcats (Wildcats?) and Corsairs fit in with the Dark Blue but European theatre type roundels that you see photos of? Plus as this is a Whiff it doesn't deviate too far from the 'norm' does it?

I've always assumed they are post war. The profiles I have all are, although one is just dated 1945 so does make you think