RVs or odd mobile homes

Started by McColm, March 25, 2014, 02:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Hi Guys,
I know in the real world every idea I've ever had for an RV /caravan/mobile home has been built. But I haven't seen any in Whiffland.
I've managed at last  to acquire a 1/24 and 1/25 flat bed trailer & container, okay they have parts broken off but between the two I could salvage enough parts for an RV.
When I worked as front of house security at the BBC Outside Broadcasting Unit which was based in West Acton, I got the chance to drive a sound stage and see it get set up.
There used to be an advert shown over in the UK where a Lorry transforms into a petrol station and on one of the episodes off BBC TopGear a German truck houses a mobile test center.
Thinking outside the box a mobile control tower, or command center, or car showroom.
This way the Mac will be fitted with the Hurricane engine, the Taxi Doormobile gets built at the sametime and the Landrod gets built as well.

Diamondback

I've been tempted to build Mack Bolan's War Wagon from the early Executioner pulp-fiction novels at times...

PR19_Kit

When I was working for MTS Systems, we sold a complete mobile 4-poster road simulator to Ford. It was housed in two 44 ft container sized trailers, the big hydraulic power supply and the air compressor in one and the simulator and its control room in the other. The simulator trailer had a hydraulic tailgate ramp so they could drive a car onto it, lift it up and then drive onto the simulator. It worked very well and Ford would truck the whole assemblage around Europe to various plants so they could test early production cars without shipping them all the way back to Essex to their R&D Centre there.

The only problem was servicing it, and we held the Service Contract in the UK as Ford UK had bought the thing in the first place. It was a problem because we never knew where the darn thing was, and it could be anywhere among the 4 UK sites, the 2 Belgian sites, the 3 German sites, and the singular French and Spanish sites!  :banghead:

My Field Engineers loved getting that job as they always ended up in 'exotic' places for two weeks. ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Last posted this about five years ago, so worth dredging up again.  I used to pass this every when I was working at our York campus, it's clearly visible from the A1079 when it's wheeled out.  This is the 'Phoenix', used as the control room for Wolds Gliding Club.  It's wheeled to whichever end of the strip they are using that day.  I'm sure it'd have been easier to use a caravan, but it's a different approach to aircraft preservation!

I had a gliding lesson there a few years ago.  When I asked how it had come to be there, no-one really knew.

It still wears the colours of MUK Air, it's previous owner.  More pics on Airliners.net:
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=OY-MUB&distinct_entry=true

And in it's pre-previous life working for Guernsey Airlines:
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=G-BITX&distinct_entry=true

Image borrowed from Airliners.net:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

scooter

Not necessarily an RV/camper/caravan, but Speedycop (yes, he's also an actual cop) on the LeMons racing circuit took a 1956 Cessna 310 and turned it into a street legal LeMons racer.

Build article here
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

McColm

That's what I had in mind for a landrod.
Thanks

kerick

Quote from: Mossie on March 26, 2014, 03:41:19 AM
Last posted this about five years ago, so worth dredging up again.  I used to pass this every when I was working at our York campus, it's clearly visible from the A1079 when it's wheeled out.  This is the 'Phoenix', used as the control room for Wolds Gliding Club.  It's wheeled to whichever end of the strip they are using that day.  I'm sure it'd have been easier to use a caravan, but it's a different approach to aircraft preservation!

I had a gliding lesson there a few years ago.  When I asked how it had come to be there, no-one really knew.

It still wears the colours of MUK Air, it's previous owner.  More pics on Airliners.net:
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=OY-MUB&distinct_entry=true

And in it's pre-previous life working for Guernsey Airlines:
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=G-BITX&distinct_entry=true

Image borrowed from Airliners.net:

The thing about reused aircraft is that the cockpit instrument panel is a great place to install the stero system. You can rock out and enjoy the view through the cockpit windows at the same time.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kerick on March 26, 2014, 03:09:03 PM
The thing about reused aircraft is that the cockpit instrument panel is a great place to install the stero system. You can rock out and enjoy the view through the cockpit windows at the same time.

They're also a great place to house your Flight Simulator setup if you can afford it and have the space. I have a friend who has his in an old Jetstream cockpit, brings new meaning to 'in-cockpit environment'.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Thanks for the ideas.Now I know what to do with my builds that go wrong.

zenrat

It's not a Whif (well not yet anyway) but i'm building this from plans I found on the internet.

It's a '69 Winnebago D22 in 1/25.  I'm using a 1/32 truck chassis and wheels and building it as a kerbside (no detail underneath).

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Ed S

Quote from: zenrat on March 28, 2014, 02:59:14 AM
It's not a Whif (well not yet anyway) but i'm building this from plans I found on the internet.

It's a '69 Winnebago D22 in 1/25.  I'm using a 1/32 truck chassis and wheels and building it as a kerbside (no detail underneath).

Now, it just needs wings and hyperdrive.
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

McColm

Reminds me of a kit I picked up on eBay. Larger than 1/25 scale that detaches from the hoist vehicle Ute/van/pickup truck.Has oven ,wash basin, shower ,sleeping quarters and sliding rear doors. With telescopic legs.
I thought about putting it on the back of my Mack tractor unit as a Fire Control Utility Vehicle. Doesn't quite line up,but now I have the trailer to go with it, your RV idea makes sense.

McColm

It's the demountable type often seen in the USA, although back in the 1950-1960s it was popular over in the UK as a cheaper alternative to the campervan/mobile home.

zenrat

Quote from: Ed S on March 28, 2014, 04:57:08 PM
Now, it just needs wings and hyperdrive.

Bugger, i've posted this elsewhere here.  Your answer reminded me.
Sorry for that.  I apologise if I appear to be big upping myself.  Wasn't intended.  I try to avoid unnecessary personal trumpet blowing.

AMT/MPC made at least two 1/25 demountable camper bodies.
One came with a '65 El Camino and has serious height issues - it would only be usable by children or the vertically challenged.  It has no interior detail.

pic from scale auto forum

The other was called the open road camper which AFAIK is correctly sized, has interior detail and either came with a pickup cab chassis...

pic from model cars mag forum
...or with the "racers wedge" race car transport body.

pic from evil-bay
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

McColm

That's it, the bottom picture, "racers wedge".
Thanks.