Airbus Military LO-23 'Little Owl' / Revenge of the Honey Badger...

Started by deathjester, March 27, 2014, 05:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathjester

Hi guys!
Recently read a blog about how our troops in Afghanistan really need a long loitering, cheap light aircraft (wow, mouthful!) to act as FAC / radio relay, instead of uber expensive helicopters, and drones that crash most of the time ( don't laugh, I've seen the crash reports in AFM!!

So, I got to thinking, maybe something like a modernised version of the old Air Observation Posts that the Army Air Corps used to use, with a bit of light attack / COIN aircraft thrown in?

Then, I thought a a bit more: how about if it could be powered by a Diesel engine?  At a stroke, that alleviates all sorts of logistical and maintenance issues.

Then I thought, Airbus Military used to be EADS, which bought out CASA, which in turn bought out Hispano.  Now they had the license to build the Bf 109, so they would have the design somewhere(!)  What If! they dusted off the Bf 109 plans, and modified them for the AOP role?

So, here we go for a start:

sandiego89

Bring it on Jester  :thumbsup:

The cockpit already has those flat plates for bullet resistant glass.....

Think a 5 blade prop would look great. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

A DIESEL!  :o

Nice and economical, sure, but the bad guys could hear it coming from about 25 miles away and the smoke trail from the exhaust would reach Saudia Arabia.....  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

deathjester

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 28, 2014, 10:29:25 AM

Nice and economical, sure, but the bad guys could hear it coming from about 25 miles away and the smoke trail from the exhaust would reach Saudia Arabia.....  ;D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Diesel engines don't have to be noisy and smelly - Bus Drivers just tune 'em that way to annoy folks... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the kind words guys - more to come soon!

lancer

MY diesel is a nice, quiet, powerful (wuth Turbo) and smooth as silk... And NO smoke trail..hehehehe!!!
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

PR19_Kit

Quote from: lancer on March 28, 2014, 01:27:35 PM
A DIESEL!  :o

Nice and economical, sure, but the bad guys could hear it coming from about 25 miles away and the smoke trail from the exhaust would reach Saudia Arabia.....  ;D

MY diesel is a nice, quiet, powerful (wuth Turbo) and smooth as silk... And NO smoke trail..hehehehe!!!

For how long though? New diesels don't smoke, well visibly anyway, but once they're past their first 50000 miles they seem to emulate WWII destroyers. And me being asthmatic I DETEST the darn things. Thank goodness for particle filters on my air-con I say or I'd have been a basket case years ago.

And almost all diesels have turbos nowadays or they wouldn't have the strength to pull the skin off a rice pudding.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

deathjester

Hi guys!

Got the cockpit all built up today, in between the other bits n' bobs on my workbench, built up a dual missile rail and finally made the old GW Falcon grav tank canopy to fit onto that dinky little -109 fuselage...

Just figuring out a better way to get pictures up, more to follow!

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 29, 2014, 04:22:49 AM
Quote from: lancer on March 28, 2014, 01:27:35 PM

For how long though? New diesels don't smoke, well visibly anyway, but once they're past their first 50000 miles they seem to emulate WWII destroyers. And me being asthmatic I DETEST the darn things. Thank goodness for particle filters on my air-con I say or I'd have been a basket case years ago.

And almost all diesels have turbos nowadays or they wouldn't have the strength to pull the skin off a rice pudding.

When we lived in Ecrodnya next to London Transports 312 bus route we had dirty streaks up the walls above all the radiators due to the diesel particulates in the air being deposited there from convection currents.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on March 29, 2014, 06:51:14 PM
When we lived in Ecrodnya next to London Transports 312 bus route we had dirty streaks up the walls above all the radiators due to the diesel particulates in the air being deposited there from convection currents.

So where about's on the route did you live then ? Runs near my neck of the woods
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

deathjester

Here's a quick update - coming along nicely, almost ready for painting, Ithink!!

kerick

Sorry to say but the pic didn't show up. Just a box with an X in it.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

deathjester

Quote from: kerick on March 30, 2014, 01:50:48 PM
Sorry to say but the pic didn't show up. Just a box with an X in it.

Lets try that again...this time without the oops...

Gotcha!  Thanks Google+...

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

Looking good.
Reminds me of the Cavalier Mustang or PA-48.