I LOVE KIT Models (ex Merit)

Started by Weaver, April 05, 2014, 05:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steel Penguin

thank you  :thumbsup:
knowing the difference is all the difference :)
I will have to get the early version.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 29, 2018, 07:19:38 AM
... The late models didn't have them! Instead they launched their torpedoes by dropping them over the side of the boat.

Flippin' eck  :o Never knew that, plus I've never seen it in any John Wayne (other actors are available) war film involving P.T. Boats, and there was at least 1 ?

So they just rolled them over the side and then turned sharply away ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Some WW1 period torpedo boats dropped their torps over the stern, and then turned away VERY sharply!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 30, 2018, 03:57:36 AM
Some WW1 period torpedo boats dropped their torps over the stern, and then turned away VERY sharply!

As did a Russian WW2 one. Sorry can't remember what it was called.

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Doug K

Quote from: JayBee on July 30, 2018, 04:41:55 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 30, 2018, 03:57:36 AM

As did a Russian WW2 one. Sorry can't remember what it was called.

The G5s did, they were scaled up from WW1 boats and built in aluminium, very quick. My 1/35th scale model back in the '90s was too, but bloody unstable - too small for the RC tech then
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-5-class_motor_torpedo_boat

Old Wombat

Doesn't someone have a kit out of that? :unsure:

Later: Yep ... Merit International (1/35) & Brengun (1/144), that I've found so far.

Merit box art:

PR19_Kit

How many of them sank themselves?  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 30, 2018, 09:29:20 AM

At least if they sunk themselves they can be happy in the knowledge that they're the inspiration for some pretty impressive box art!  :lol:
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

JayBee

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 30, 2018, 07:49:32 AM

Later: Yep ... Merit International (1/35) & Brengun (1/144), that I've found so far.

Merit box art:

There is also one in 1/72 scale, from an East European manufacturer who's name escapes me. If I can find mine I will let you know.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Old Wombat

Just a random though as I'm about to go to bed: If you bought a pair of those G-5s, what aircraft could you put them on as floats? :unsure:

Steel Penguin

at 19M each long probably a fairly big un!   :-\
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Mossie

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 30, 2018, 10:33:26 AM
Just a random though as I'm about to go to bed: If you bought a pair of those G-5s, what aircraft could you put them on as floats? :unsure:
Quote from: Steel Penguin on July 30, 2018, 12:12:38 PM
at 19M each long probably a fairly big un!   :-\

You've both just solved a problem I had.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I bought a Gotha G.III for the Flying boat GB to do a twin hulled flying boat.  Trouble was I couldn't find a donor for the floats.  I decided that it'd be easier to carve a pair but never settled on the shape.  I'll still have to as the Brengun kit is too expensive to buy two, but now I've got the shape!  Cheers!
:cheers:

Quote from: JayBee on July 30, 2018, 09:41:32 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on July 30, 2018, 07:49:32 AM

Merit box art:

There is also one in 1/72 scale, from an East European manufacturer who's name escapes me. If I can find mine I will let you know.

Interavia Jim, found it while googling the Brengun kit:
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/145958-yumtk-interavia-011-tupolev-g-5
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

zenrat

The 1/35 kit would make for the basis of an interesting 1/72 flying boat.

Or use the 1/72 kit for a smaller plane retaining the rear launched torpedoes...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Fantastic box art  :thumbsup:

And having seen it I realise I am aware of that method of launching torpedoes, I just never thought of the practicalities of it before  :o

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 30, 2018, 09:29:20 AM

I suppose you could have a time delay on the detonator ? Doesn't become "live" until so many turns of the small prop at the front ?

Those Soviet ones appear to have been ejected by compressed air, given the tanks immediately in front of the torpedoes. I was thinking some poor sod had to push/roll them into the sea. Told you I'd not thought of the practicalities  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.