Belvedere Gunship, finished

Started by sandiego89, April 07, 2014, 03:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

Insurgents in Borneo started to cause problems on the early morning supply runs.  Some clever engineers from No. 66 Squadron came across some surplus materials and undertook a field modification to give them a surprise.....

The kit:  1/72.  Ancient mold (1958?) Airfix Belvedere.  Up-armored with some goodies.

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Rheged

WHAT A GOOD IDEA!!! This could turn out to be absolutely fascinating!! 

I've always felt that a Belvedere looked like a London Underground carriage that had inadvertantly become airborne.  I await your paint scheme with eager anticipation.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Weaver

Interesting idea!  :thumbsup:

Not that it matters for a whiff, but are aware that the Airfix kit represents a prototype and not the actual production machines that went to Borneo? Main differences are that the latter had anhedral outer wing sections instead of tip fins and different air intake screens. Loads of references on line.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

....the production ones didn't have a half sized rear rotor either  :thumbsup:

Great idea ! Look forward to seeing more !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

Quote from: Captain Canada on April 07, 2014, 04:03:13 PM
....the production ones didn't have a half sized rear rotor either  :thumbsup:

LOL - fortunately, that's the artwork, not the kit.

Just remembered another difference: the kit has an upward-hinged door with a bulge for a winch, whereas the production ones had a sliding door.

There's a thread listing some of the issues here: http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8821
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

sandiego89

Quote from: Weaver on April 07, 2014, 04:20:28 PM
Quote from: Captain Canada on April 07, 2014, 04:03:13 PM
....the production ones didn't have a half sized rear rotor either  :thumbsup:

LOL - fortunately, that's the artwork, not the kit.

Just remembered another difference: the kit has an upward-hinged door with a bulge for a winch, whereas the production ones had a sliding door.

There's a thread listing some of the issues here: http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8821

Excellent link Weaver, thank you. Thank you for the tips on the mods that need to be done.  Yes I realize the kit will have some challenges, but I think the options for a Belevedere kit are rather limited....

Will have the sliding door, and modified stabilizer, and guns, etc.
Dave "Sandiego89"

Captain Canada

That's alot of mods to bring her up to production standard....but if those are the results in that pic ? Wow ! I think the life rafts are a really nice touch to add realism.

I hadn't noticed before how small the tires were on the prototype ! Looks crazy small

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

I'm interested to see your plans for weaponry. A few CH-47s carried cannon and rocket pods in a forward firing position. "Guns a go go" was the name of one as I recall. Careful with the caliber of any side firing guns, don't want to break that chopper in half! AC-130s would develop fuselage cracks from firing the 105mm.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

McColm

Great idea, I think there's one on display at the RAF museum Hendon.
A flying tube train carrige, now that's an idea!

PR19_Kit

There was a Maintrack upgrade kit for the Belvedere with resin, vacform and other bits that's well worth looking out, but a) they're pretty rare and b) VERY expensive when they do surface. And no, mine's not going to surface anywhere, anywhen.....

There's a team re-building a Belvedere at the Helicopter Museum at Weston-super-Mare, well worth looking at if you're in the area. When I saw it last about 9 months ago they had the skin removed around the forward engine, very interesting to see how it was crammed in there.

As for the kit being low on possible options, take a look at OGL's AEW version for the FAA....  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: kerick on April 07, 2014, 06:16:14 PM
I'm interested to see your plans for weaponry. A few CH-47s carried cannon and rocket pods in a forward firing position. "Guns a go go" was the name of one as I recall. Careful with the caliber of any side firing guns, don't want to break that chopper in half! AC-130s would develop fuselage cracks from firing the 105mm.

Thanks- the CH-47 "Guns a' Go Go" is an inspirational real world version.  I will go easy with the weapons, nothing TOO over the top.  Yes the B-24 in the picture will be involved.....

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 08, 2014, 05:20:33 AM
There was a Maintrack upgrade kit for the Belvedere with resin, vacform and other bits that's well worth looking out, but a) they're pretty rare and b) VERY expensive when they do surface. And no, mine's not going to surface anywhere, anywhen.....

I'm sure the maintrack bits are impressive, but in keeping up with my usual tradition of only using what came in the kit, styrene, my spares bin and my imagination- no aftermarket bits for this old girl. Besides I'm too cheap- that would cut into the beer and stash fund!  ;D   
Dave "Sandiego89"

Gondor

Mine is not going anywhere either unless someone produces a production Belvedere kit in 1/72 at a reasonable price.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Captain Canada

The good news is you're whiffing it up anyway, so you don't have to get too carried away with making it 'right'.

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

There's a team re-building a Belvedere at the Helicopter Museum at Weston-super-Mare, well worth looking at if you're in the area. When I saw it last about 9 months ago they had the skin removed around the forward engine, very interesting to see how it was crammed in there.

There's one in the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry too, although it's not easy to get close to it for a real in-depth nosey. On the upside, they have got a platform up to the cockpit so you can go and peer into that end to your heart's content.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: Captain Canada on April 08, 2014, 06:04:29 AM
The good news is you're whiffing it up anyway, so you don't have to get too carried away with making it 'right'.

:thumbsup:

Aboslutely: anything that's too much of a pain to fix can always be "whifjitsu-ed" into being right by careful adjustment of the back story.... ;D :thumbsup:

- Indiana Jones