Twin engine Avro Shackleton

Started by McColm, April 11, 2014, 04:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

I've reading some of the topics referring two twin engine aircraft derived from four engined bomber/patrol aircraft.
I don't know if this has been whiffed before, but a twin engined Shackleton seems feasible based on the Avro Manchester layout or twin engined Lancaster or Lincoln . Both can be fitted with after market resin parts.
I have an idea for a twin engined B-17, but changing the wing with an Airfix Canberra to jet propelled.
The airliner version I proposed in another topic, might look better with two engines.The weapons bay could contain a speed pack or parts from the Halifax conversion kit.

wuzak

I wondered about a twin engined B-17 using R-2800s or R-3350s.

I figured that the problem would be swinging the larger propellor required by th emore powerful motor, particularly if you used the standard inner mounts. Maybe need contra-props.

kerick

Or insanely long landing gear! Paints quite a mental image.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

McColm

The Lockheed Constellation has the longest landing that I know.

rickshaw

Quote from: McColm on April 11, 2014, 08:52:54 PM
The Lockheed Constellation has the longest landing that I know.

Compared to a B-36?  A Tu-95?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

McColm

PR19_Kit

A Stirling has some pretty tall main gear legs too, and it wasn't for prop clearance issues either. They built it like that so that the stupidly small wing could generate enough lift for take-off with the hefty bomb load it was designed for.

A Vulcan has pretty tall legs too, certainly compared to its stable-mate, the Victor.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 12, 2014, 12:29:51 AM
They built it like that so that the stupidly small wing could generate enough lift for take-off with the hefty bomb load it was designed for.

Blame the standard RAF hangar. Sterling was designed to fit the existing hangars or so I've read
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Knightflyer

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 12, 2014, 05:47:40 AM
Blame the standard RAF hangar. Sterling was designed to fit the existing hangars or so I've read

I'd always thought that ....but I thought I'd read somewhere recently that it wasn't the complete story ? :unsure:
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

kitnut617

Quote from: Knightflyer on April 12, 2014, 06:25:15 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on April 12, 2014, 05:47:40 AM

I'd always thought that ....but I thought I'd read somewhere recently that it wasn't the complete story ? :unsure:

I've read something like that too Knightflyer, not long ago either.  I think it might have been in an Air-Britain magazine --
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

A twin engine Shak would be a B-25  :thumbsup:

I always wondered why the Sterling was so tall !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

The Sterling was also ear-marked for just two very powerful engines (for those days), so a large diameter propeller was to be used, same as the Manchester and Halifax.  Something like 16 to 17 feet diameter (which is comparable to the props on an A400M [or a Hughes Hercules])
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

I never knew that the B-25 was powered by Griffon engines, sounds like a whiff to me although there were plans to lengthen the wing for two more engines .
Avro Canada built the B-25 during WW2.

Captain Canada

I just think they'd look really similar  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

Yes they do. I wonder if the nose section of the B-25 will fit on the shack and the shack wings fit on the Mitchell, I'll have to buy one and find out. Unless you guys know?