Twin engine Avro Shackleton

Started by McColm, April 11, 2014, 04:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: pyro-manic on October 03, 2014, 01:01:07 PM
What about a pair of Double Mambas? That would look quite interesting. Also has the possibility of shutting down two of the turbines for slow-speed patrolling, Nimrod-style

A pair of Double Mambas wouldn't be as powerful as two Pythons. Two of them would shove out 7750 hp if you used the most powerful version, whereas two Pythons would produce over 8000 hp. You'd lose the 'two engine cruise' ability with the Pythons of course.

The original 4 x Griffons gave out 7800 hp, tad more than the Double Mambas would produce.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

pyro-manic

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 03, 2014, 01:53:06 PM
Quote from: pyro-manic on October 03, 2014, 01:01:07 PM
What about a pair of Double Mambas? That would look quite interesting. Also has the possibility of shutting down two of the turbines for slow-speed patrolling, Nimrod-style

A pair of Double Mambas wouldn't be as powerful as two Pythons. Two of them would shove out 7750 hp if you used the most powerful version, whereas two Pythons would produce over 8000 hp. You'd lose the 'two engine cruise' ability with the Pythons of course.

The original 4 x Griffons gave out 7800 hp, tad more than the Double Mambas would produce.

I was thinking perhaps a slightly uprated version, with more power than those on the Gannets. Not sure how much more power it would be possible to wring from the design, but it might be doable? Coupled with bigger props of course to deliver said power.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

kitnut617

If we're going that route, what about a Coupled-Proteus -- as used on the Saro Princess and planned for the Brabazon Mk.II. Or go completely 'What-If' and have Coupled-Tynes   ;D
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 03, 2014, 03:15:53 PM
Or go completely 'What-If' and have Coupled-Tynes   ;D

You'd shake all the rivets out of the poor old Shack! That'd be 24000 hp!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

McColm

kitbasher

Why two coupled Tynes over four regular Tynes?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitnut617

Well we're talking about a Twin-engine Shackleton --

although four separate ones would look really good I think, which would lead to a better Tudor --- and like a Vangaurd

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 03, 2014, 03:33:33 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on October 03, 2014, 03:15:53 PM
Or go completely 'What-If' and have Coupled-Tynes   ;D

You'd shake all the rivets out of the poor old Shack! That'd be 24000 hp!  :o

Yes  ;D  but I think actually it would be a smooth 24000 hp

Captain Canada

What about Darts ? Only asking as I have the Herald kit.

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitbasher

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 04, 2014, 06:05:58 AM

d'oh!  Silly me!!

Mind you don't two twin Tynes equal four Tynes?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitnut617

Quote from: kitbasher on October 04, 2014, 07:16:20 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on October 04, 2014, 06:05:58 AM

d'oh!  Silly me!!

Mind you don't two twin Tynes equal four Tynes?

Technically ----  ;)   But I think the gist of the thread is maybe a Shackleton with two nacelles --- maybe --  :unsure:

McColm

This doesn't stop any Whiffer from building a Shackleton with any number of alternative engines. I just thought of two as I hadn't see one. It would fill the space between my other ideas of the Super Shackleton PT-76 turboprop and the Turbojet Shackleton.

Daryl J.

A twin Shackleton could be called the Shacklet yes?

McColm

Sounds good.
Just wondering if the Dakota was ever fitted with four engines?