Twin engine Avro Shackleton

Started by McColm, April 11, 2014, 04:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

The resin PT6 fit well on the Airfix Shorts Sunderland and Constellation. Might try them on the Lancaster MkII.
Could try them on the Lockheed Neptune.
Thinking of a possible Kitbash with a Neptune and Shackleton.

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 06, 2014, 06:52:07 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on October 06, 2014, 06:51:12 AM
The Modelcraft kit is the Frog/Revell/Russianwhoever kit.  It's identical in everyway ---

Complete with all 22 Gazzilion rivets................

Yes.  But how bad are they?  Can I have some feedback from someone who has tried to build one as to what's wrong and what it's worth?
I've found one review and it said "don't bother".
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

Quote from: zenrat on October 06, 2014, 09:22:40 PM
The Modelcraft kit is the Frog/Revell/Russianwhoever kit.  It's identical in everyway ---

Yes.  But how bad are they?  Can I have some feedback from someone who has tried to build one as to what's wrong and what it's worth?

Try this review, its a little more positive.  "Challenging" might be a better word to describe this venerable kit.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

McColm

The moulds are the same as the Frog/Novo/Revell kits. One of the fuselages is warped, I think it's the left side.  The weapons bay doors don't line up either. You can sand down the rivets with wet and dry paper starting off at 400 grit. Cockpit detail is sparse, you'll need to trim the clear canopy to fit. Don't be surprised if the two fuselages don't line up when gluing. Photo-Etching kits are available for the wings and interior. (I used parts from a B-24 to solve the interior problems).
Undercarriage parts big and bulky just need cleaning up. Engines just need a bit of filler and sanding into shape. Propellers have a bit of flash, on assembly don't get the parts around the wrong way as you'll never get them off unless you cut them.
Decals are a bit thin and vague.
Overall you need to spend some time on this kit to correct it. Try to go for the Revell grey plastic or the Frog blue plastic.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 06, 2014, 09:22:40 PM
The Modelcraft kit is the Frog/Revell/Russianwhoever kit.  It's identical in everyway ---

Yes.  But how bad are they?  Can I have some feedback from someone who has tried to build one as to what's wrong and what it's worth?

Don't Bother?

How else are you going to build a 1/72 scale Shackleton, it's the ONLY game in town!

People who say that are probably 18 yrs old and weren't even born when the FROG kit first came out. It was state of the art at the time, it's pretty accurate and can be the basis of a superb model, either RW or Whiffed. It just needs some application of proper modelling skills and you're not lacking in THEM Zenrat!

Just stock up on 320 grit wet and dry paper to get rid of the rivets are you're half way there.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Thanks folks.  That's a much better review there Rick.
There is a Modelcraft version on Aussie Evil-Bay for $30 + postage which I am watching but my feeling is I don't want one that much.  Then there are 6 bagged kits from Canada (also Modelcraft).  I don't want 6 but I could probably flog 4 leaving 1 to build and 1 to rob parts from.  However, postage for those 6 is $62 which is highway robbery and pushes up what i'd have to ask when I sold them to levels i'm not sure i'd get (especially without boxes).
I think i'll stick to my usual policy and wait for one to turn up at the right price.
It's not like i'm short of stuff to build.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

kitnut617

There is speculation that there could be an Airfix one in the future -- at least that something along those lines is being discussed elsewhere where people are guessing about new parts being shown for a new kit. 
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

That's great news,so in 18 months time a new Shackleton. Mark 2 or 3?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 07, 2014, 06:42:45 AM
There is speculation that there could be an Airfix one in the future. 
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

McColm

Could get a Facebook campaign going!

Captain Canada

I might do a twin engined bird with a B-25 as a basis.

As for sending one to Aussie, I could check the pricing if you want one for cheap.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 07, 2014, 11:25:46 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on October 07, 2014, 06:42:45 AM
There is speculation that there could be an Airfix one in the future.  

If I buy the bag of 6 from Canada that'll ensure the rumours come true... :-\

Thanks for the offer Capt but while i'd like a Shack it's not a must have.
Fred

McColm

Yes there is some trueth in the rumors, but Airfix aren't saying anything until November.
I wonder if there are any Avro Lincoln kits available or conversions?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on October 08, 2014, 04:42:07 AM
I wonder if there are any Avro Lincoln kits available or conversions?

No and yes, in that order.

The various Lincoln conversions have been mentioned elsewhere on here quite recently, I think there's two of them, or were anyway. I have the Pegasus vacform/resin one and it's quite good but needs a fair amount of work to produce a good result.

Regards
Kit

maxmwill

Quote from: wuzak on April 11, 2014, 08:07:10 PM
I wondered about a twin engined B-17 using R-2800s or R-3350s.

I figured that the problem would be swinging the larger propellor required by th emore powerful motor, particularly if you used the standard inner mounts. Maybe need contra-props.

Would a pair of 4360s be in order, or would they be too much of a good thing?