Lockheed P-80 Derivates

Started by The Big Gimper, April 13, 2014, 04:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Big Gimper

Here is what I hope to be is a ongoing thread of P-80 derivatives. I was inspired by ysi_maniac's line drawings where he did a mash up the P-80 fuselage with all sorts of wings and tails.

I'm calling it a P-80F (E was already taken) as flown by the RNoAF.  I wanted a hybrid P-80/F-90 look.

Bill of materials are:

A. Airfix P-80C fuselage and landing gear.
B. Fuji T-1 wing and tail
C. Tip tanks from a 1/128 Constellation
D. Xtradecal T-33 Foreign operators decals and spares
E. 1000 LB bombs from the spares box

What I did rounded off the vertical and horiz stabilizers, moved the horiz stabilizers about 1/2 way up the vertical stabilizer. Lots of PSR to blend in the T-1 wing.  Base paint is Tamiya rattle can TS-30 silver with hand painted trim.

Here is my next installment: The P-80G in Spanish service, 1968. Guns removed and updated to carry AIM-4Ds. ISTR installed under the nose.

Bill of materials are:

A. Airfix P-80C fuselage and landing gear.
B. Revell G.91R wing and complete tail
C. Drop tanks from a Tamiya 1/100 A-6A
D. ISTR from Monogram F-4C/D
E. F-104 Pitot tube
F. Xtradecal T-33 Foreign operators decals and spares
G. AIM-4Ds from the Hasegawa Air Weapons III kit. Xtracolour Red Arrows red used for the AIM-4D red/orange.

I sawed off the tail and added the G.91 tail at the turbine warning stripe. Less PSR this time to blend in the G.91 wing but I needed to remove about 5mm on the inboard side.  Base paint is Tamiya rattle can TS-30 silver with hand painted trim.
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

bobbo

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Can we see more?  These are great!

bobbo

Knightflyer

Very Nice!  ;D I likee very muchee!  ;D :thumbsup:
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

TallEng

Nice :thumbsup:
that last one especially reminds me of Saab's Lancen.

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Jkob

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: TallEng on April 13, 2014, 05:52:51 AM

Regards
Keith

Second that, and the first one only needs a pointed nose and it could be a smaller relative to the luckless XF-90!?

Sweet combo, I like them both.  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Regards
Keith

It does, doesn't it  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Really like those, especially the nose IR sensor and the Falcons on the Spanish version.  Well done.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

TomZ

Love the Spanish one! Great.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Captain Canada

Wow ! Great start that's for sure ! The first one really does it for me....like everything about it. The Second one is nice, but off somehow....either the greeblie under the nose or the F-86 tail.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

comrade harps

QuoteReally like those, especially the nose IR sensor and the Falcons on the Spanish version.  Well done.

Ditto  :thumbsup:
Whatever.

Captain Canada

Regards
Keith

I notice it now ! Now lets see one in Swedish colours and markings  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McGreig

Quote from: The Rat on April 14, 2014, 06:13:47 PM
Winners, all of 'em!  :thumbsup: :bow:

Exactly what he said :thumbsup: I like the idea of a series of these - looking forward to seeing more :cheers:

The Rat

Oops... Just noticed that in all your lovely work you made the same wee slip-up that a lot of people make, and I've done it to: the oleo scissor on the P-80 points forward.

Go ahead and  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:, you know you want to!  ;D

Still great work though, maybe you could write the difference into a back story. I think we've all covered some modeling sins that way.  :lol:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr