FOCKE-WULF Ta193H-1 'FLITZER'

Started by kitbasher, April 13, 2014, 06:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

The first Ta152H entered service with the Luftwaffe in January 1945.  A World War II German high-altitude fighter-interceptor designed by Kurt Tank and produced by Focke-Wulf, the Ta152 was a development of the Focke-Wulf FW190 aircraft.  It was intended to be made in at least three versions—the Ta152H Höhenjäger ("high-altitude fighter"), the Ta152C designed for medium-altitude operations and ground-attack using a different engine and smaller wing, and the Ta152E fighter-reconnaissance aircraft with the engine of the H model and the wing of the C model.
The Ta152 was, without a doubt, the best high-altitude piston-engined aircraft designed by Kurt Tank for Focke-Wulf. The aircraft was a further redesign of the venerable FW190, namely of the FW190D. The Ta152 became possible thanks to the new high-altitude Jumo 213 and DB 603 engines.
Development began in the winter of 1942-1943, when RLM's technical department released specifications for a new 'Spezial Jaeger', or Special Fighter. The fighter was to be capable of a high-altitude interceptor role. The Ta152H-1 was armed with a MK 108 cannon with 85 rounds firing through the propeller hub and two MG 151/20 cannons (220 rounds per gun) in the wings. The H-1 went into serial production in January or February of 1945, but was only ever intended to serve as an interim Höhenjäger.
Meanwhile, in March 1943 Focke-Wulf in Bremen initiated a series of design studies for single-seat, jet powered fighters.  Entwurf 6, also known as Projekt VI, was approved for mock-up construction in Febuary 1944. The designation was later changed to Projekt VII and was given the RLM designation Ta193, but became commonly known as the "Flitzer" (Madcap).  The mid-fuselage mounted wings had moderate sweepback (32 degrees), twin booms and a high mounted tailplane. The single He S 011A tubojet was supplemented with a Walter HWK 509 A-2 bi-fuel rocket mounted below the jet. Projected armament consisted of two MK 103 30mm cannon or two MK 108 30mm cannon in the lower nose and two MG 151/20 20mm cannon in the wings.
Luftwaffe test pilot Oberstleutnant Kurt von Spackmann was quick to spot the Flitzer's potential as a high-altitude interceptor, one that would be considerably safer – and effective - to operate than the emerging Me163 rocket fighter.  Spackmann lobbied the RLM to develop a high-altitude version of the Ta193, and Tank was eager to proceed with such a development, which would in time be designated the Ta193H-1.
Development moved forward as a priority.  The major change was to redesign the wings - a high-aspect ratio wing was needed to generate extra lift (as per the Ta152H-1); a less obvious change was to reduce the armament to just two MG 151/20 cannons in the wings.  Tests quickly proved the type's efficacy for the planned role.  Speed was similar to the Me262 but climb rate and operating ceiling was superior to that of the Messerschmitt design.  The type was ordered into production in November 1944, with the first production aircraft coming off the production line in February 1945.  
By this point the RLM had decided to rationalise aircraft production to but a few types.  This was considered necessary in order to manage increasingly scarce resources while preparing for the anticipated second attempt by the Western Allies to invade Northern France (this to follow the abortive Calais landings in 1944), and holding the Eastern Front on what had been the Polish border in 1939.  Under this scheme the FW190 would become the only piston day fighter-bomber, the Ta152C the only day fighter, the Me262 the only jet day fighter and fighter-bomber, the Ta193H the only high level fighter, the He219 the only night-fighter, and the Ju188 the only day bomber.  
Ta193 deliveries continued through the year, with von Spackmann (newly promoted to Oberst) commanding the first Ta193H-1 unit, JG.1 at Leck.  But the writing was on the wall for Germany following the successful Normandy landings in June 1945.  By the end that year Ta193 deliveries had all but dried up; a lack of airframes, fuel and pilots effectively grounded JG.1 in January 1946 –with Germany surrendering in March.

The model is based on the Revell Flitzer - my second build of this kit (originally built as a Swedish J28 'Flyga and then as a 'DH Venom FB.4' for the 2012 'alternative Cosford' display a couple of years) and the first in which I got the nose wheel the right way round!  Essentially OOB with of course new wings.  These were sourced from the Airfix Tornado GR.1 that was built with fixed wings, again for the 'alternative Cosford' display.  Markings from the kit apart from the swastikas, which came from a generic Xtradecal sheet.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Dizzyfugu

Nice one! Wings looked familiar but I did not expect them to come from a Tornado! Very good implantation surgery.  :bow:

NARSES2

Cracking piece of work mate. Suits those longer wings  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

I like that! Fantastic work there, who would have expected a German wing of the PR19 family?

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

eatthis

custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

dumaniac

comrade harps

I like that a lot. Really neat.

And the idea of Normady failing and having to have a 2nd go in June 45 is a nice twist, too.  :thumbsup:
Whatever.

PR19_Kit

From a TORNADO?  :o

Amazing work, I'd have never thought of that.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Army of One

BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!