FROG/Eastern Express Blackburn Skua dive bomber, Swiss Navy.

Started by CSMO, April 17, 2014, 06:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSMO

With the winds of war blowing in Europe, the Swiss were getting jumpy. Their precious neutrality was in jeopardy. They felt their borders were leaky as they had big lakes on the borders. There was the Bodensee(Lake Constance, Germany), Lake Maggiore(Italy). and Lake Geneva(France). The government decided it was time to form a Navy for protection against invasion and or any other funny stuff. The brass decided on patrol torpedo boats and dive bombers. They bought Blackburn Skuas because the were available and cheap. They put Pratt & Whitney Twin Wasp motors on them because they were reliable. The Swiss Skuas were also built under license.

I bought the E.E./FROG kit because it was cheap. The rivet counters hate this model, so I thought "whiffer" builders wouldn't care. I replaced the crappy cowl and motor with stuff from my scrap-box, adding exhaust pipes.

The paint is Xtracrylix RLM80 Grun and RLM78 Hellblau. The markings are FROG Hunter Swiss crosses applied over hand-painted Tamiya Gloss Red fields. The anchors were leftovers from a Smer LeO.451 that I had just finished.

The Swiss Navy is no longer a tired old joke. I have brought it alive. I am really chuffed with my results.

Thanks for looking.

Adios, Larry.
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

Dizzyfugu

Nice one. Doesn't look THAT weird with these marking...  :thumbsup:

Knightflyer

Well I LIKE it!  ;D I think it looks great. Nice and original as well :thumbsup: (though some-one is bound to produce lot of photos of Swiss Navy aircraft now I said that!)  ;)
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

sandiego89

Well done, like the markings a lot. And from a frog kit!  :thumbsup: can't. Beat frog for prices! Now hang some weapons on there and you are all set for those lake battles.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Rheged

Unexpected, extremely competently made and opening up a whole new range of whiff possibilities.  Well done, sir!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Weaver

Nice one - looks good in those markings. :thumbsup:

The irony is that although most people assume the "Swiss Navy" is a joke, it actually isn't: they really do have quite a lot of patrol boats for those lakes and rivers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_Switzerland
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

CSMO

Quote from: Weaver on April 17, 2014, 04:36:47 PM
Nice one - looks good in those markings. :thumbsup:

The irony is that although most people assume the "Swiss Navy" is a joke, it actually isn't: they really do have quite a lot of patrol boats for those lakes and rivers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_Switzerland

I did not know that. I guess I am just a hick Yankee with too many gaps in ,my education. Thanks for the info.

Adios, Larry.
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on April 17, 2014, 04:36:47 PM

Do they have any carriers though?  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on April 18, 2014, 02:53:35 AM
Yes.  They are underground though...  ;)

Hehehe, Mrs_PR19 is looking at me as if I've finally lost it as I'm laughing so much!  :thumbsup: :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 18, 2014, 03:18:15 AM
Hehehe, Mrs_PR19 is looking at me as if I've finally lost it as I'm laughing so much!  :thumbsup: :lol:

'finally' or 'again', Kit?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on April 18, 2014, 06:20:51 AM

Well, lost it more than usually perhaps?  ;D

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 18, 2014, 07:45:51 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on April 18, 2014, 06:20:51 AM

Well, lost it more than usually perhaps?  ;D

Don't worry mate we'll help you find it  :rolleyes:

I like this a lot, well done sir
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Me too.  And a pleasant change to see a Swiss subject.

I had fun whiffing a NOVO Skua some time ago - I've said it before and I'll say it again, don't knock old obsolete kits 'cos they can often be found at low prices and are perfect canvasses for one's individual 'flights of fancy' where state of the art accuracy, etc, is not an issue.  And FROG kits were generally sturdy creatures that allowed for a lot of cutting and rearranging.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?