Lockheed P-74A 'Charger', USAAF 310th FS/58th FG, 5th AF; Clark Field, Jan. 1945

Started by Dizzyfugu, April 18, 2014, 09:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Hello everyone, thanks a lot for the ppsitive feedback. As I heard on PM channel, there's another of these in the making - I was just quicker...

Well, I considered making it a Curtiss aircraft, and I totally agree that the cockpit lines remind A LOT of the XP-55. I eventually settled for Lockheed in my story because the layout is similar to the P-38, and Lockheed rather developed heavier aircraft after the P-38. So I thought that this could be an evolutionary step - but there's not much more behind it.

The Ki-98 as a 'justification' for the ID stripes is nice, and in whifworld a very good excuse (got one in the stash, BTW, still wondering what to make from it. Thailand? Or a French bounty machine, like some Ki-43...). Without the stylish stripes "my" P-74A already looked cool and elegant, but I just loved this 'over the top' look on the benchmark P-47.  ;)

Concerning the fins - yes, they really look small. I do not have the Special Hobby kit at hand as a reference, but I think the Heller kit is correct. If you take a look at a Bf 110, for instance, it also has surprisingly small twin fins, and I guess the twin booms also add directional stability, so that a smaller fin area could be used?

Merci bien!  :cheers:

Gondor

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 20, 2014, 10:25:06 AM

Concerning the fins - yes, they really look small. I do not have the Special Hobby kit at hand as a reference, but I think the Heller kit is correct. If you take a look at a Bf 110, for instance, it also has surprisingly small twin fins, and I guess the twin booms also add directional stability, so that a smaller fin area could be used?

Sounds like a good explanation to me!

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

pyro-manic

See, my first thought was North American - that canopy just reminds me of the early Mustang canopies. Another great build though, Dizzy - nicely done. :cheers:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: pyro-manic on April 20, 2014, 01:13:07 PM
See, my first thought was North American - that canopy just reminds me of the early Mustang canopies. <...>

Yup, looks very "early Mustang".  :thumbsup: So, another idea for another P-74: RAF bird with a Malcolm hood?
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

zenrat

Quote from: Gondor on April 20, 2014, 11:11:40 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 20, 2014, 10:25:06 AM

Sounds like a good explanation to me!

Gondor

I was pondering fin size thisarvo whilst looking at the Mig 29 & Ar 196 on my bench and comparing the size of their vertical stabilisers.  All I could come up with is that the faster it is the bigger fin(s) it needs to turn it.

To my eye they look a bit small here.

But not much bigger here so maybe i'm on the wrong track?

But maybe I know nothing about aircraft design other than "if it looks right it is right"?
:o ;D

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..