RCAF Bowrider SAR

Started by The Rat, April 20, 2014, 06:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

For the back story on this one, go visit the page about the later incarnation, the Moose. Same base model, the old Revell product, full of the expected rivets, gaps, and warps. But after a few paint disasters it's finally done. The scheme is based on the one the RCAF used on the Grumman Albatross, and the decals are Belcher Bits. Excellent decals, very easy to work with. I cut the long stripe on the side into three pieces to make placement easier. The sheet was made for the H-21 helicopter, and doesn't include the small roundels that are on the fuselage, so they were swiped from a Hobbycraft CF-100 sheet. My terrible camera doesn't handle the red end of the spectrum very well, so the International Orange paint looks redder than it should, and the orange RESCUE doesn't come out as well as it really looks. There are a few wee bits that may get a touch-up sooner or later, but for now I'm calling it done.

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

JayBee

Ratty,

that is truly superb.  :bow:

What did you use for the props?

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

The Rat

Quote from: JayBee on April 20, 2014, 06:19:39 AM
Ratty,

that is truly superb.  :bow:

What did you use for the props?

Jim

Thanks! Just the kit props, nothing fancy.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

sandiego89

Excellent!  I have built that beast before, so I know the challenges that you overcame here- really well done. I see you sealed the bow doors- the kit always left a huge gap, well done.  And the two toughest colors, silver and white, on the same raised rivet model! Wow   :bow:  The paint looks great!  
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ericr

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Dizzyfugu

Uh, that's lovely!  :thumbsup:

Whiffies nomination is well deserved!

Scooterman

Get's my approval, Rat-san!

Captain Canada

What a beauty Rat ! Looks right at home in those colours....would have been a great SAR asset in her day.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Captain Canada on April 20, 2014, 08:57:16 PM
What a beauty Rat ! Looks right at home in those colours....would have been a great SAR asset in her day.

:cheers:

Dead right there, if the accident was only to a small aircraft they could have opened the bow door and 'rescued' the airframe as well as the crew!  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Excellent: that's really pretty!  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sandiego89

Think it would have been better if the Tradewinds had lasted long enough to replace the T-40's engines with T-56's (or Tynes for our Commonweath users). Although the contra-rotating props sure add to the charm.  Seems like the T-40 was the downfall to more than one airframe, but was really the only thing avaiable at the time.   

We just need an affordable, new injection mold Tradewind in a real scale!

Again- great build.     
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kitnut617

That really does look good Dave   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

chiglet