Supermarine Swallow

Started by Devilfish, April 28, 2014, 11:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

At the end of WW2, the allies got their hands on all the German "wonder weapons", including their jet technology.  Test flying the Me262 against a Meteor, it was evident the Gloster product lacked in many areas.  The 262 was faster and more manoverable, but it's engines had just a 10 hour service life.  This was due to the metals used, as Germany could not manufacture materials that could take the intense heat.  Britain, however, could, and a program was initiated to reverse engineer and build copies of the 262.  Bristol were contracted to build the engines, called Prometheus and Supermarine were to build the plane. 
Altho popular with those that flew it, on the whole it never gained public acceptance as it was still a remnant of the Nazi era.  Only one squadron, 19, were ever equipped with the Swallow, flying them for only 3 years, before they were replaced with Meteors

Kit is the Revell 1/72. I apologise for the dust. the flash shows it up more than the human eye!

dumaniac

NARSES2

That looks strangely right  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

lancer

Nice one, I had the same idea.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Captain Canada

Oooh lovely ! I really like the silver undersides. Love camo colour and roundel scheme.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

aston

It would be interesting to see those wings on a Meteor ..... or Meteor engines (can't remember) - mid-wing on those wings.

Devilfish

I have a second one of these kits and I am trying to think of "export" versions.  The most obvious that comes to mind is selling them back to the fledgling post-war Luftwaffe.

Tophe

Surprising and nice, congratulations! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

McColm

kitbasher

Quote from: aston on April 30, 2014, 10:10:33 PM
It would be interesting to see those wings on a Meteor ..... or Meteor engines (can't remember) - mid-wing on those wings.

I grafted Meteor wings on to an Me262 - looks really rubbish!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

zenrat

Hmmm, this has got me thinking Spitfire wings and horizontal stabilisers would go well with the 262s fuselage.
Not sure where you'd put the engines though.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on May 10, 2014, 06:53:45 AM
Hmmm, this has got me thinking Spitfire wings and horizontal stabilisers would go well with the 262s fuselage.
Not sure where you'd put the engines though.

Up against the fuselage? :-\
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

nighthunter

Zen, take a look at my CGI thread, you'll see a jetified Spitfire using the 262 engines...
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

pyro-manic

Quote from: Devilfish on April 30, 2014, 11:05:05 PM
I have a second one of these kits and I am trying to think of "export" versions.  The most obvious that comes to mind is selling them back to the fledgling post-war Luftwaffe.

French, like the Venoms and Meteors they actually had? Belgium? Argentina? Jordan?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Weaver

Excellent stuff - looks good in those decals.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: pyro-manic on May 11, 2014, 11:32:30 AM
Quote from: Devilfish on April 30, 2014, 11:05:05 PM

French, like the Venoms and Meteors they actually had? Belgium? Argentina? Jordan?

Egypt? (they had Meteor night fighters)
India? (it'd look good in the early "mandala" roundels)
Finland?
Yugoslavia? (We sold them a handful of Gnats and the US sold them Sabres)
South Africa?
Rhodesia?

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones