Paint it Black!

Started by McColm, April 29, 2014, 03:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Hi Guys,
I'm fairly new to painting my models, using the Matchbox different coloured plastic kits and trying not to get the glue on my fingers or on glazed parts.
I've found that mat black hides all my mistakes and gives the build a sneeky feel  such as recon or black ops.
Whilst there is the opposite if you use gloss black. Sort of sleek and sexy.
Why should that occur?

kerick

Flat or mat colors will hide many sins but gloss, especially black, makes the slightest scratch seem twice the size. To have a gloss finish the surface has to be glass smooth to reflect the light. A defect will interrupt this mirror like surface making it very visible. Flat or mat finishes are rough in texture to scatter the light. Under a microscope they look like a gravel road. That's why decals will silver on a flat finish and not on a gloss finish. The flat finish allows air to get under the decal. To beat this you have to spray a gloss finish over the flat to provide a smooth surface for the decals and then a flat or mat finish once the decals have been applied. The rough surface of the flat finish will allow small defects to blend in. Just ask any car body repair person about painting a gloss black finish on a car and watch him start to twitch.
As you mention finishing models in flat black I would paint them with gloss black first, apply the decals, and then apply a flat clear coat.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

It's also human perception and our instincts. Glossy black is attractive to us - stemming back from a time when we used to live in caves. It suggests "ripe", so you can eat it (just as red). Very fundamental reflex that's still active.

On the other side, the effect that matt black blurs outlines and hides contours, suggests danger - it's a thing you hardly fathom, and our instincts suggest "maybe dangerous" - even if it is a vehicle!

McColm

Wow,
Thanks for your replies.

kerick

There are a number of options for black painted aircraft.
Night fighters; example P-61 Black Widow.
Recon as you mentioned; SR-71 is a classic but I found an RF-101C in black with red markings circa Vietnam war.
Bombers; either all black as A-26 in Korea or black undersides like some B-52s and B-29s.
The infamous "black helicopters" that threaten conspiracy theorists everywhere.
I can't remember which US government agency it was but they had gloss black UH-60s with a gold stripe down the sides. (An interesting diorama idea, an all black chopper with a claw type hoist picking up a cow with attachments to make it look like a flying saucer)

White paint does not show defects much either. That leads to many civilian schemes plus USCG and others.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

martinbayer

Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

kerick

Nice pics! Love the car in the DC-9 pic.
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Quote from: martinbayer on May 02, 2014, 09:24:13 AM
There are also the 'black bunny" 'novelty' schemes used on the F-4 and F-14 as well as Hugh Hefner's DC-9:

http://fullcolorbirds.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/f14-photo-vx4-01xl11.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6J4og0hLPXQ/SxIsnJTIALI/AAAAAAAAACk/i7r0dlX7R54/s1600/big_bunny.JPG

Martin

I built Hefner's 'Black Bunny' DC9-30 from the Airfix kit some years ago. Dead simple build, straight OOB, paint black and add the world's smallest decal sheet. I thought I had pics of it somewhere but I can't find them.  :banghead:

I've been aboard it too...... <smirk mode off>  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

tigercat2

The great thing about the What If world is that you can paint and mark any aircraft in any color and national markings that you want.

Some of mine include an all-black Hughes R-11, black F-17 for the USAF, F-82, black and dark green A-10, etc. 

Wes W.

McColm

The 1/72 Lockheed P-2H that I built is a classic example. Has all the maritime features such as a larger weapons bay with two doors, ESM pods and sonar bouy launch tubes. But it was mistaken for the AP versionas I had used dark earth spray can all over instead of following the paint instructions within the kit. Even the retro decals off the Airfix B-24 made it look sneaky!
Going to my own version based on the US Coast Guard colour scheme for 'Project Mad Hatter'.

dumaniac

Hi Paint it black - or sort of

one technique that is popular at the moment is the put a darker shade along panel lines (I work in 48 scale).  So how do you put a darker shade of black on black.

One trick is to add one quarter of red paint to the black.  It looks black if you don't have black to compare it with black.  Anyway, once the aeroplance is painted with reddish black, then paint on the black lines for the contrast.  Anyway, that is my technique.

Good luck

Bernie

McColm

Thanks,
I'll give that a go.

lancer

QuoteI built Hefner's 'Black Bunny' DC9-30 from the Airfix kit some years ago. Dead simple build, straight OOB, paint black and add the world's smallest decal sheet. I thought I had pics of it somewhere but I can't find them.  Bang head

I've been aboard it too...... <smirk mode off>  Grin

All well and good, but were the bunnies on board at the same time??
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

PR19_Kit

Quote from: lancer on May 26, 2014, 03:30:53 PM
QuoteI built Hefner's 'Black Bunny' DC9-30 from the Airfix kit some years ago. Dead simple build, straight OOB, paint black and add the world's smallest decal sheet. I thought I had pics of it somewhere but I can't find them.  Bang head

I've been aboard it too...... <smirk mode off>  Grin

Two of them were!  :o

It was pretty difficult  to keep one's mind on things aeronautic in the face of such distractions.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 26, 2014, 03:34:19 PM
Quote from: lancer on May 26, 2014, 03:30:53 PM

Two of them were!  :o

It was pretty difficult  to keep one's mind on things aeronautic in the face of such distractions.  ;D

The Area Rule perhaps?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter