Airbus A400M Atlas, concepts and other roles

Started by McColm, April 30, 2014, 06:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

The Airbus A400M Atlas is now being handed over to It's customers.
The Royal Air Force start getting theirs next year and have launched a challenge to see what ideas 16-18 year olds have in the long range search and rescue missions.

I've seen artwork with the Atlas having four poded turbofan engines instead of the turboprops.
I personally think an MPA/ASW can be whiffed with weapons carried on pylons under wings or along side of the fuselage.
A replacement for the E-3 Sentry or AEW & C.
An ELINT or SIGINT version.
Ever some skis fitted for Artic and Antarctic supplies.
The USAF did ask for technical details and Canada cancelled their order.

Captain Canada

Some big skis would look awesome. Gloss grey with day-glo panels......Mmmmmm

:wub:

A gunship.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

You would need some massive floats for an amphibious version or a shallow hull from an aircraft carrier kit.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

Who does those decals that size, would they be 1/48 or 1/72?

Howard of Effingham

McColm!

i am sure that at Scale Model World and not that long after the kit came out, a wiffed A400M with four CFM-56
turbofans in SAAF markings was on the what-if SIG stand. i know as i had a RP-4C Privateer Elint a/c in the same
display that year.

perhaps one of the SIG's photographers will have a photo of this A400M in their files.
Keeper of George the Cat.

kitnut617

Quote from: McColm on April 30, 2014, 06:00:12 PM
Canada cancelled their order.

Canada had asked for a tender but it was never taken up so there was no order to cancel --- instead they went with C-17's and C-130J's

Something I'm in the process of building right now ---

And I've got a stretched version on the go too, early days though so photos later when I start a thread for it
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

JayBee

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on May 01, 2014, 02:22:32 AM
McColm!

i am sure that at Scale Model World and not that long after the kit came out, a wiffed A400M with four CFM-56
turbofans in SAAF markings was on the what-if SIG stand. i know as i had a RP-4C Privateer Elint a/c in the same
display that year.

perhaps one of the SIG's photographers will have a photo of this A400M in their files.

I take it you are referring to this one from SMW 2012, and no I have not the faintest idea who the guilty party is.

Jim

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

kitnut617

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

McColm

You could always put the engines above the wings or a pair at the rear sort of VC-10 layout.
I've got a large scale sailing dingy in my stash, I'll see if this fits under the lower fuselage section, when the kit arrives.

PR19_Kit

The 4 jet A400M at SMW 2012 was built and brought in by one of our American members, but I can't remember his name, sorry. Big guy with glasses..........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

The prop diameter is so big on the A400M that a good portion of the prop wash covers and goes over the wing, I wonder how much of a lift influence the prop-wash has and whether the hi-bypass fan would actually make it better --

Martin H

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 01, 2014, 12:48:13 PM
The 4 jet A400M at SMW 2012 was built and brought in by one of our American members, but I can't remember his name, sorry. Big guy with glasses..........

that would be Brad,aka Scooterman
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Go4fun

Quote from: pyro-manic on May 01, 2014, 09:09:01 AM
Snoopy II.

PS: Also useful for breaking up jousting events with a single low pass!  :o
"Just which planet are you from again"?