kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Thorvic on September 01, 2014, 12:17:32 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 31, 2014, 08:26:45 PM
Quote from: pyro-manic on August 31, 2014, 11:42:02 AM
First flight of ZM400, the RAF's first Atlas:

And not before time either!

Actually it is from what I recall, we weren't scheduled to start getting them till mid 2015, but the Turks had a funny moment and asked their production to be put back so the RAF were asked if they would like one of theirs earlier. So it is actually before its scheduled time  ;D

Anyway nice to see it in RAF colours  :thumbsup:

It depends which 'schedule' we're talking about. It's certainly before the CURRENT scheduled time, but Airbus Mil have moved the goalposts at least twice since it was announced.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Looks great ! What's the plan for the C-130J when you get all the A-400s ?

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

AFAIK they're keeping all of them, the A400Ms being a sort of 'half way house' to the C-17 fleet.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

Isn't there two types of Atlas? The RAF doesn't have the internal inflight refueling system fitted, whilst the rest of them has this fitted as standard.

sandiego89

Quote from: McColm on September 02, 2014, 12:09:56 PM
Isn't there two types of Atlas? The RAF doesn't have the internal inflight refueling system fitted, whilst the rest of them has this fitted as standard.

And a shortsided move in my opionion.  The lawyers on the other tanker contract seemed to have the upper hand, and the RAF got "hosed" (pun-intended).  Having the option to pass fuel from the RAF A-400 would have been a nice force multiplyer.   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on September 02, 2014, 12:20:02 PM

And a shortsided move in my opionion.  The lawyers on the other tanker contract seemed to have the upper hand, and the RAF got "hosed" (pun-intended).  Having the option to pass fuel from the RAF A-400 would have been a nice force multiplyer.   

I agree, specially when the 'tanker option' is the standard build. How much do you bet we'll have to fork out extra to have the option re-installed in 15 yrs or so? And it'll be presented as a 'Wizard Idea' no doubt......

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 02, 2014, 12:30:00 PM

I agree, specially when the 'tanker option' is the standard build. How much do you bet we'll have to fork out extra to have the option re-installed in 15 yrs or so? And it'll be presented as a 'Wizard Idea' no doubt......

Pretty much the same with that whacking great big floating airfield you've got, you know -- the one without wire arresting capabilities (or catobar)

McColm

Or those refurbished RC-135s without any refueling probes fitted and the boom plug disconnected.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 02, 2014, 12:34:21 PM

Pretty much the same with that whacking great big floating airfield you've got, you know -- the one without wire arresting capabilities (or catobar)

It has got catobar capability, it's just that the structural work needed for it is hidden under the ski-jump just now. It'll cost a lot to install the EMALS system later of course, but it'll cost less than if they'd made no provision for it at all.

Regards
Kit

GeorgeC

Quote from: Captain Canada on September 01, 2014, 04:12:17 PM

The A400Ms will replace the C130Js pretty much one for one.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: GeorgeC on September 02, 2014, 02:10:40 PM
Quote from: Captain Canada on September 01, 2014, 04:12:17 PM
The A400Ms will replace the C130Js pretty much one for one.

As the RAF currently has 38 x C-130Js and it has 22 x A400Ms on order that'll be pretty difficult.

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 02, 2014, 01:58:08 PM

It has got catobar capability, it's just that the structural work needed for it is hidden under the ski-jump just now. It'll cost a lot to install the EMALS system later of course, but it'll cost less than if they'd made no provision for it at all.

I think that being only able to take vertical landing aircraft is very shortsighted, no matter what the expense is, restricts what can use what will be the second biggest aircraft carrier floating ---

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 02, 2014, 04:58:52 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 02, 2014, 01:58:08 PM

I think that being only able to take vertical landing aircraft is very shortsighted, no matter what the expense is, restricts what can use what will be the second biggest aircraft carrier floating ---

You're assuming that there is some logical thought capability within the UK Ministry of Defence Robert.  ;D :lol:

Regards
Kit