Aircraft you would like to see in USCG colours

Started by McColm, May 01, 2014, 12:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

I've put this question into search but it didn't give the replies that I was after, so here goes.
What aircraft would you like to see in US Coastguard colours?

As discussed on another topic the Airbus A400M Atlas. I think I've seen the Br 1150 Atlantic in these colours but I don't know where.
The BAe Nimrod would look great too (might build it with this scheme).
The V-bombers.
B-29/B-50 with life boat carried in the bomb bay.
Avro Shackleton.
Prowler.
Mil Mi-24 Hind
MH-53

sandiego89

Quote from: McColm on May 01, 2014, 12:28:09 PM
I've put this question into search but it didn't give the replies that I was after, so here goes.
What aircraft would you like to see in US Coastguard colours?

As discussed on another topic the Airbus A400M Atlas. I think I've seen the Br 1150 Atlantic in these colours but I don't know where.
The BAe Nimrod would look great too (might build it with this scheme).
The V-bombers.
B-29/B-50 with life boat carried in the bomb bay.
Avro Shackleton.
Prowler.
Mil Mi-24 Hind
MH-53

While many would look good in USCG markings, not so sure many of those are a good fit for real world USCG missions.

Nimrod- yes
v- bomber, no, not a good platform for normal USCG Ops
29/50, with a dumbo lifeboat- oh yes
Shack- yes
Prowler- why? not a good platform
Mi-24- why?
53- a natural

I'll add:
P-2V Neptune
P-3 Orion- MPA version
S-2 Stoof and E-1 Tracer "Stoof with a Roof"
S-3 Viking
Shin-Meiwa US-1
Canadair 215/415 Amphib
Martin Mars
UH-1 Huey
V-22 Osprey
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

McColm

I agree not all aircraft could carry out the requirements of the Coast Guard.
I have seen artwork of the EU-3B  Viking
HC-97
Clavework Angles Interceptor.

The Rotodyne would look good, maybe a DC-6 as well.
Then there is the Lockheed Constellation.
The Prowler could be used for visual ops or on scene co-ordinator, the A-10 was used in SANDY mission. Just remove the gun or use the two seat version.
C-160
BV 200
Be 12 Mail
Be A40 Mermaid
Be 200

McColm

kerick

The brand new C-27 the Air Force wants to get rid of.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

For USCG (or any other CG, for that matter) if you use the S-2/E-1 you'd be best off using a turboprop modded airframe.

Lovely plane, mongrel to work on*, but a bit short on legs for SAR type missions with the R-1820's.

:cheers:

Guy

* I've spent hours waist-deep in their engine bays, with my torso twisted in 3 different directions, arms above my head curled around pipes & frames, oil trickling down to my armpits & dripping on my face, & with about an inch of free space within which to move the tools. God, I loved those babies! :wub:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

An obvious omission......Canadair Argus. Canadair CL-215/415. Dynavert ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

What about the Westland Lynx or Puma. Even the Chinook. Not sure if they flew the Wessex. The Gazelle.

Old Wombat

The Wessex was flown as the H-34 in US service, although the US aircraft used 1 × Wright R-1820-84 radial engine, instead of the 1 (RN) or 2 (RAF) × Rolls-Royce Gnome H.1200 Mk.110/111 turboshaft engines of the Wessex (I don't know if there were any engine upgrades to the H-34, there were to the Wessex).

Apparently wasn't flown by the USCG.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Cobra

McColm, i once posted a Query about the MI-24 hind as an ASR Helo.i think the Hind would Work as a Coast Guard Helo, Logan did an MI-24 as a US Coast Guard helo in the Profiles section. i once Asked if the sR-71 would Look good in USCG Markings,that might be worth Looking into. Another Plane that would Great in US Coast Guard Use would be the Sea Master Flying boat. Stay Cool. Dan

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on May 01, 2014, 12:44:28 PM
v- bomber, no, not a good platform for normal USCG Ops

The RAF used Vulcans to patrol the North Sea oil rigs for quite a time, and at low level too. I've got a painting of one doing just that over my fierplace.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Shorts Stranraer
Lockheed Hudson
Avro Lancaster Mk 10 - good enough for Canada in the ASR role.....

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kerick

Quote from: kitbasher on May 02, 2014, 06:07:12 AM
Shorts Stranraer
Lockheed Hudson
Avro Lancaster Mk 10 - good enough for Canada in the ASR role.....

I like the Lockheed Hudson idea, add Model 14 Super Electra and PV-1 Ventura to that list. Add a bubble window to each side for visual search and a big searchlight.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

McColm

The B-52Gs did something similar to the Vulcan. I can remember writing the tasking message, took hours.
The Victor under took maritime recon for a while before being converted to the tanker role.
The U-2 is another possibility.
I'll check through the profiles and CGI.
HS 125 and the Hawkeye E-2C, I'll-50 Mainstay, could build the Nimrod AEW.
Short Sunderland
B-70
B-1B
Blackburn Beverly