F-16 Fuel Tanks

Started by KJ_Lesnick, May 03, 2014, 04:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

Why are the F-16's fuel-tanks flat in the back?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Scooterman

If you look closely, you'll see that they're not flat, but have a domed cap on them that is slightly inset.

IIRC, aero wise, the tank was more clean without a streamlined shape on the end.  Don't know the physics of it, but that's what I've read.

Army of One

Ha.....I always thought the centreline one was due to ground clearance on take off/landing......how wrong can you be..... :lol:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

rickshaw

Interestingly when they tried an ovaloid profile tank on the F/A-18A they found it had terribly flying qualities and didn't empty completely so they abandoned it in favour of the traditional circular one.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Scooterman

What I first posted was in relation to the wing 370 or 600 gal bags.  Forgot to address the centerline!

Quote from: Army of One on May 04, 2014, 12:53:01 AM
Ha.....I always thought the centreline one was due to ground clearance on take off/landing......how wrong can you be..... :lol:

This is correct for the centerline bag.  A round one didn't allow proper ground clearance.  And the end of it is more streamlined, but still terminates rather blunt.