AEW Lancaster

Started by buzzbomb, May 04, 2014, 07:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lancer

This is looking pretty damm cool.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

The Wooksta!

There's no real need for the saddle tank (which incidentally was hated by the test pilots and caused no end of problems), given that the nose and bomb bay area of the Lancastrian carries additional fuel.

Actually, I think you'd need additional fin area to compensate for the tank.  Certainly extra power would have been needed, given the weight of the addional fuel and the very bulky radar gear and associated black boxes.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Captain Canada

The saddle doesn't have to be all fuel.....more room for those black boxes and operator stations etc. Besides, it looks cool !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Having walked up and down inside a Lancaster a couple of times, I know you can't stand upright in it (mostly you have to stoop in a real uncomfortable position).  Instead of being a fuel tank, it could just be an extended fusealge just so you can walk upright.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

buzzbomb

Well, noted engineering feedback aside, got this together as far as it is going to go for a Whiffer.
I think I will go for the Saddle tank having some fuel and some black box space, that works for me.

So in my version of a daylight scheme, for the crude MK1 version of the AEW Lancaster, perhaps used by Coastal Command.

Thanks for the nice words folks

rickshaw

Interesting aircraft.  Never going to win a beauty contest but well executed.  Nice detail with the aerials.  :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

TallEng

Good job :thumbsup: that saddle tank sure makes a difference to the look of a Lancaster.
I've been puzzling the nose, and I've finally worked it out ;D it reminds me of the nose
On the Canberra T.17 :rolleyes:

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on May 11, 2014, 07:40:07 PM
Interesting aircraft.  Never going to win a beauty contest but well executed.  Nice detail with the aerials.  :thumbsup:

Very much so. Really good build and I do like the colour scheme  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

aston

Oooh! Oooh! Oooh!

Love the astrodome on the  bulge-front and imo has a big-Beaufort and Albermarle look. That nose has got just Attitude!

Gorgeous colours ..... work of art.

The tanktop would make nipping over the main spar a lot easier .... ???

The Wooksta!

It's a nice model, certainly a good build, but it doesn't really work for me.  It just doesn't look right.  The radomes don't fit in with the time frame - the ventral one would have some serious problems with reflections from the props.

The Village Inn radome doesn't look right either - the Hasegawa Lancs all have this as a standard part on the sprues.  It's not a fixed radome as it swivels with the turret. More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Gun-Laying_Turret  http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/village-inn-3372-2.html#post877563

Harsh?  No. If I wanted to be really picky there's a few things I'd single out.  I'm not criticising the concept or the modelling.  Just a difference of opinion.  I've been thinking about AEW Lancasters and whiffed Lancaster variants for so long that I seem to have a fixed view of how the company would have progressed.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic