Mitsubishi F-1 'Advanced'

Started by silverwindblade, May 05, 2014, 08:55:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverwindblade

It's time for yet another aircraft from my story xD

Another model donated by my friend, this time a Fujimi F-1 (It might've even been the T-2), that he did up in the Blue Impulse scheme. Again, it was damaged in transit when he moved house, and he gave it to me for my own projects.

I wanted to have a Japanese pilot in the squadron in my story, and I was looking for a unique aircraft - so the F-1 was an excellent choice to receive an Avalon Institute upgrade.

What I'm thinking, is canards, a sawtooth trailing edge, a new rudder and maybe some other additions as I go, such as a targeting pod on a new pylon, if I can make it work.

New Engine exhausts - the original engines, plus new exhausts from my stash of bits and pieces... I'm not even sure what they're off of.

I added new wingtip rails, as the old ones were snapped off during transit, and too fiddly to repair. I also added some sawtooth extensions to the trailing edge.

Here's how it looks with the canopy and new rudder attached. For a scary size comparison, that vertical rudder is actually a horizontal stabilizer from an SU-35 that got killed by a set of shelves falling on it.
The little white bump ahead of it is to cover up the original plug-hole for the original rudder.
I also added hardpoints for weapons out of my stash, as the kit didn't come with any. It's not going to be toting a huge warload (unusual for me, I know), probably a pair of sidewinders, a pair of rocket pods and some LGB's or Mavericks.

Now I'm just waiting for glue to dry before I can continue.
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!

kerick

May I suggest conformal fuel tanks on top of the fuselage like the F-18 or F-16. Just my $0.02 worth. Great start.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

silverwindblade

I hadn't thought of that, but I'll have a look at what I've got around, and see if I can find a pair to use, and see what it looks like. Thanks for the suggestion!
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Gondor

Rather than Sidewinders, perhaps use some Japanese weapons. Hasegawa do a 1/72 scale set X72-10 if you are interested or you could scratch build yourself something.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

silverwindblade

I didn't specify, I realise, but it's a 1/48 kit. And I'll probably use the sidwinders since I've got some to hand, and for commonality with the other aircraft in the squadron. I will have a look and see what Japanese weapons are around though, as I'm curious now!

Gondor

I just had a look, Hasegawa do the same in 1/48, see here, there will undoubtedly be other items elsewhere as well.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

silverwindblade

Thanks - I've added one to my Hannants wish list for when I get paid!

Captain Canada

Very nice. Always liked the lines of the F-1 and now it looks even better !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

Looking good so far - like the tail!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: kerick on May 05, 2014, 09:01:26 AM
May I suggest conformal fuel tanks on top of the fuselage like the F-18 or F-16. Just my $0.02 worth. Great start.

Alternatively, how about a single tank in a bulged spine, like a MiG-21bis?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

silverwindblade

Yes, I did have a brief look at it last night before I went to bed and thought that might be a good idea. I'll have a look at the options when I have a chance to sit down and do some more work on it. I do like that idea though.

silverwindblade

So, as with my other project, I got some time in on this over the weekend.

While I didn't get as far with it, that's mainly due to the fact that I leapt in a bit with putting together the expanded spine, as I loved the idea of it, but probably didn't plan it out as well as I could've.

Nonetheless, a 1/48 F-15E tank served as a sufficently 'bulged' spine, and the last of my green stuff putty should suffice to blend it in, and fill in the holes in the fuselage too. I had to use a few slivers of plasticard to patch a hole made through over-eager use of my off-brand dremel, but it's look pretty good. A bit of sanding and a few lumps and antennae, and I think we'll be getting somewhere.

Weaver

Looking good!  :thumbsup:

Bulged spines can give a sort of "hunched" aggressive look.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

Maybe you could have planned it better...but then again, it looks pretty darn good just the way it is !

:tornado: :cheers: :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

silverwindblade

Yeah, I'm sure it'll turn out fine anyway :) It's looking pretty good all the same. And it hasn't vastly compromise the model or made it too fragile.