COIN Aircraft from a Hawk

Started by silverwindblade, May 05, 2014, 09:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverwindblade

To take a break from building every aircraft in my story universe, and because I had a different idea, here's another build.

I received some gift vouchers for Hobbycraft from a former workplace when I left last year as they knew I like modelling. I bought a couple of kits with them from the sadly limited range at my local store - a Revell 1/48 Huey Hog and an Airfix 1/48 Hawk.
The Huey is still in it's box awaiting some more display space, and also parts to make something out of it (I've got a few ideas, but they require more modern helo parts), but for the Hawk I was struck by inspiration after seeing Dizzyfugu's excellent Libelula, and thinking of my own love for COIN aircraft, I was struck by the idea of changing the Hawk into something a bit different.

I had mapped the build out in my head, but started to run into difficulties the more I thought about it. Originally, I wanted to do it as a straight-winged turboprop, but I realised that most of the hardpoints would have very little clearance around the props, and I didn't have the parts to steal a wing, or the money on hand to buy something to nick one from. Furthermore, I don't have much luck with cutting styrene straight, so building a wing was out of the question too.

Then I thought about pusher props, and I started getting somewhere, especially after looking at the BAe Mantis and it's layout. The two pod-mounted pushers solve the clearance issue, and mean I can use the wing. But that's far too easy, and I'm nothing if not a glutton for hard work to make something look completely weird. So....

I used my rarely-touched multi-tool to saw off the intakes, then blocked out the gaping holes with plasticard from the inside. After that was stuck in place, I faired over the gap with milliput, and then a million years of PSR to get it smooth.
I then chopped down the nose and tail. The nose will have a FLIR turret, which I have built separately, and the tail just comes to a point with a vent underneath, as there's no need for the old exhaust, of course.
I've also faired over the old wing-root after removing the wings, and the landing gear bays.

I've assembled composite wings from parts of the original Hawk wings, and from a pair of 1/72 F-15 wings I had lying around. They'll be the inboard sections, with the landing gear in pods, and then an outer wing, with either tip-tanks or launch rails. I'm not sure which yet.
The only downside, though these wings do look amazing, is that to blend them together will take a lot of PSR and fairing in with plasticard. Which I'm really not looking forward to at all.  :-\
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!

kerick

Interesting idea. I'll be watching!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

lancer

That sounds very much like the Reading hobbycraft. I was up there a couple of days ago having heard a dark romour that it had been re-stocked. It hadn't! Same old crap thats been there for 6 months or so...
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

silverwindblade

I used to live in Reading, and I always found that to be the case when I was there too... almost no kits, and nothing exciting!
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...

Captain Canada

That looks awesome ! What a neat idea. Great job so far

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Nice idea. Seeing the fuselage profile, it IMHO cries for slender wings with turboprops. Looks a bit mini-Pucara-ish? Cool idea, nevertheless, looking forward to see progress and what it actually becomes!  :thumbsup:

silverwindblade

Yeah, if I'd had easy access to appropriate wings, then I think I would've done that instead. But I've made my mind up now, and I've changed plans with this too many times as it is... though maybe if I see the 'right' wings then it might change again >.>
(be a lot less hard work...!)

Dizzyfugu

I find the idea very inspiring. The Hawk is easy to modify (e .g. getting rid of the air intakes), and I could also imagine a "mini A-10" with external engine nacelles at the rear from it!  :thumbsup:

Lovely, I might take the conversion idea up, as I have some surplus Hawk trainer fuselages (lacking canopies, though... :rolleyes:) in store. I even might have proper wings for a turboprop conversion, complete with engines and propellers, and you get resin engine nacelles in 1:144 (e .g. for DC-9s) that might be easily implanted, too.  :wacko:

McColm

Great idea, I always thought of adding the wings from a A-4 Skyhawk.

silverwindblade

I wonder if the wings from a 1/72 A-10 would look right, or whether they'd look too spindly or small by comparison?
The Skyhawk idea sounds neat too!

Dizzyfugu

1:72 A-10 wings will IMHO certainly be too large - it's a relatively big aircraft. But there's a nice (and rel. cheap) 1:100 Revell Snap-Fit A-10 kit out there which has decent wings. These should fit well onto a Hawk. Its tail could be used, too - I used the respective endplates on the Libellula.

silverwindblade

Ahh, I think I saw one of those in my semi-local Hobbycraft too... I shall have to investigate!

Dizzyfugu

Hmmm, I cooked up an idea for a Hawk COIN conversion, too - I might pursue the Pucara-ish idea, with classic straight wings, turboprops and probably a T-tail, but I have to check if the parts I have in mind actually match in size and shape!  ;)
Also an idea for user and livery: I think Australia lacks an appropriate aircraft, and that wouzld eventually be a good excuse to apply RAAF C-130 three-tone cammo (I think these are B-52G colors?) as a wraparound scheme, coupled with low-viz markings:

At least, this idea/concept made it on the project list - will take a while, and some reality check.

Thanks a lot for the inspiration!  :thumbsup:  :cheers:  :party:

Captain Canada

Those Aussie Hercs are the bomb.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

Looks pretty unique, doesn't it? MANY years ago I built a ground attack IAI Kfir (heavily modified, e. g. with Harrier stabilizers as canards and a turbofan engine in the tail - don't ask...  :rolleyes:) in this livery, and it looked awesome. Ever since wanted a similar "thing", and this might be the right opportunity.  :thumbsup: