COIN Aircraft from a Hawk

Started by silverwindblade, May 05, 2014, 09:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Quote from: silverwindblade on May 18, 2014, 11:03:52 PM
The fuel tanks will be the location of the main gear - I've turned them into sponsons/landing gear wells. I might also locate the cannons there too.

Also, I'm not sure whether to put wingtip rails on the ends of the wings, or tip tanks.

Up swept winglets! Or T-38 tip tanks.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

silverwindblade

While I don't have any T-38 tanks, I do have a pair of tanks I was planning to use. I was thinking of attaching winglets to the top of them as well, so I might go with that idea. I build a lot of aircraft with wingtip rails, so tanks would be a good change.
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

Just a side note: work on my sister ship already started and makes good progress. Will look very Pucara-ish!

silverwindblade

I've done some more work on mine, but I didn't take any photos yet - I'll get some up later on!
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...

kerick

Dizzy and Silver, stop teasing everyone and show us the pics!!!!
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

No!  :wacko: Progress is till good, mine already stands on its own legs, and it has interesting proportions! It became bigger than expected, and coupled with the sleek Hawk fuselage the thing now looks like a mean wyvern...

JayBee

Just to let the JMN in me out for it's annual breath of fresh air.
The T-38 never carried tip tanks.  :wacko:
The F-5 series did, they had those lovely area ruled tanks, but the T-38 is a very different animal.
They just look very similar.  :rolleyes:

JiMN
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

silverwindblade

I wouldn't have known any different, Jay! Thanks for the info...
*sprays JMN-Be-gone* ^.^;;

I will take some pictures tomorrow, as I'll be working on this then, as well as my F-1. Hopefully, I ought to make some good progress!

kerick

Quite right about the tip tanks. Actually its hard to find an F-5 pic with the tip tanks, most of them have the Sidewinder rails.
Tophe the Wise

Gondor

Quote from: kerick on May 30, 2014, 06:04:49 AM
Quite right about the tip tanks. Actually its hard to find an F-5 pic with the tip tanks, most of them have the Sidewinder rails.

That sounds rather like a challenge so don't complain if your mail box gets flooded with pictures of F-5's with tip tanks on!   ;D

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kerick

I didn't say I couldn't find any! The most consistant users of the tip tanks seemed to be CF-5s from the Great White North.
Tophe the Wise

JayBee

Quote from: Gondor on May 30, 2014, 10:24:36 AM
Quote from: kerick on May 30, 2014, 06:04:49 AM

That sounds rather like a challenge so don't complain if your mail box gets flooded with pictures of F-5's with tip tanks on!   ;D

Gondor

Just think "Skoshi Tiger"

...and to the best of my knowledge the only 1/72scale kit that had those tanks was the Matchbox one. Mind you if memory serves the Airfix art work showed them on an Iranian example, but I do not remember the kit having them.

Jim

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Dizzyfugu

OzMods (IIRC) also offers 1:72 resin tip tanks for an F-5. The only kit that features the tanks is the Matchbox F-5, the Airfix kit only has the AIM-9 launch rails.

BTW, why insist on these area-ruled tanks? For a slow COIN aircraft, "standard" shapes should suffice?

kerick

Tophe the Wise