COIN Aircraft from a Hawk

Started by silverwindblade, May 05, 2014, 09:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverwindblade

Thanks! Unfortunately, it's a little stalled until I can source a pair of replacement Israeli Stars of David to replace the two that detached during the weathering!
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!

DogfighterZen

Great concept! That's a mean looking machine! Hope you get those decals soon.
:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

silverwindblade

It only took the better part of a year, but this is finally as finished as it's going to get.

Apologies if the lighting in the photos isn't up to scratch - I only have a phone camera, and the way my spare room is lit, it's hard to get good photos, even in the daytime. I hope the results are visible well enough with these photos though, and that people like the results. I'm mostly pretty pleased with it, aside from the fact there's somehow dust inside the canopy, and I forgot to put landing gear doors on.
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...

Dizzyfugu

Way cool!  :thumbsup:

Personally, I still think that the wings are a bit too far back (or the stabilizer should be MUCH bigger), but I like the overall concept. Looks sleek.

Captain Canada

Oh yeah....that is way cool ! Love the look of it. The paintjob looks impeccable ! Love the colours too. And the ords. I guess if you're a dedicated ground attacker you'd need lots of those  :thumbsup:It's a neat looking a/c. I always like a bird that looks slightly different from every angle.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Librarian

An amazingly atractive machine, very Skycrawlers I think. Sleek and purposeful looking, one of those aircraft that appear to be travelling fast whilst standing still. Well worth the time and effort, congrats :wub: :thumbsup:.

Amphion

Amphion

silverwindblade

Thank you for all the positive feedback - it makes the blood, sweat, tears and almost giving up that little bit more worthwhile when you hear someone else likes your work. She's now safely enshrined upon my display shelf.

Dizz, you're not the only person to comment on the wing placement. Perhaps it could've been done differently, but I suppose it was trial and error, and a case of 'what looked right' at the time. Re: the stabilizer, it was what I happened to have in my spares box at the time, and it blended in well. But you're right, it probably could do with being bigger. The original idea was to have two vertical tails on the 'outrigger pods', but I didn't have anything suitable, and wasn't confident in making two from scratch. Still, I'm pleased with the end results.

DogfighterZen

Well, wish i could whiff up something half as cool as that.. That's different thinking to me.  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

silverwindblade

I seem to be incapable of building models OOB, or at least with 100% accurate paint and decals - I can admire the work of others in doing so, but doing it myself just doesn't interest me.
And once I get an idea for building something, it ends up becoming an inevitability. Chopping and altering parts is probably the bit I love the most!

Old Wombat

Looks great! :thumbsup:

However, I'm not sure the turbo-prop can give it enough "oomph" to get off the ground, let alone fly combat mission profiles, &, I agree with Dizzy, the wings should be a bit further forward or the canards should be more like small wings to balance the aircraft a bit more (especially in flight).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

silverwindblade

Well, it's done now so I can't exactly go back and change it :P
Also, I don't usually build prop-engined stuff, so I had to source the propeller seperately. 1/48 Mohawk ones were the only ones I could find easily. I've got a spare one still, actually.

I had originally intended to do it two-engined, but it was too much work for me, and I didn't like the lines as much as this setup. Perhaps if I build something similar in the future, I'll take all of these notes into consideration.
Either way, as I've said: It's finished now, and I'm pleased with the results, so that's all that matters. Not whether it would 'work' or not. I tend to build things 'by eye' anyway, rather than to any realism.
Anime, manga, sci-fi and comic books tend to be my sources of inspiration, as much as the real machines, so please do forgive me for any 'lack' of real engineering knowledge when I chop up and glue my plastic aeroplanes together.

Old Wombat

Not criticism, more a friendly critique based on personal aesthetics, dude. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

CSMO

In "Whiff-World", the laws of physics are not as hard and fast as they are in the "real" world.

That is a lovely little model that would be right at home in a video game.

Adios, Larry
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter