Handley Page Heyford ideas

Started by Weaver, May 10, 2014, 10:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Think this deserves it's own thread, rather than hijacking the "stash" thread: terrible things you could do to a Handley Page Haystack <sorry> Heyford......

Quote from: zenrat on May 09, 2014, 01:45:26 AM
Quote from: Weaver on May 08, 2014, 12:50:39 PM
Hmmm - just been looking at some pics of the Heyford. Know what it needs? Floats..... :wacko:

or a field gun mounted on the top of the lower wing :wacko:

With a shield and the crew stood behind it, of course..... :wacko:

Another idea: how about one of JW Christie's super-fast turretless tanks? AFAIK the RAF & British Army never played with underslung tanks, but others did, notably the Russians. There are kits of the turreted Christies the US Army trialled and it should be possible to bash the turretless one from there.... :wacko:

If the Christie's a bit too rich, then how about a Carden-Lloyd tankette? There are kits of the Polish versions available:

QuotePosted by pyro-manic

What about one of the Vickers Light Tanks?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Okay, another mad one.

The Heyford had ten individual bomb bays in the centre lower wing section: what if you put a forward-firing gun in each one? You could certainly get a .303 Vickers in each one, wonder if a 20mm would fit?  :wub:

You might get some more just outboard of the wheels too. The bombs there were external, but the structure must still have been pretty strong....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

jcf

3-views of Heyford concepts. Bristol Jupiters, Napier Lions and conventional low wing.

You cannot view this attachment.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on May 10, 2014, 10:45:31 AM
Okay, another mad one.

The Heyford had ten individual bomb bays in the centre lower wing section: what if you put a forward-firing gun in each one? You could certainly get a .303 Vickers in each one, wonder if a 20mm would fit?  :wub:

You might get some more just outboard of the wheels too. The bombs there were external, but the structure must still have been pretty strong....

Not big enough!  ;D

How about a battery of Vickers 40 mm S guns, as used on the Hurricane IIDs? I have six S guns in The Loft at the moment too.....

But seriously, at least two of us have Whiffed Heyfords in build at the moment.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

GeorgeC

Quote from: Weaver on May 10, 2014, 10:35:07 AM
Think this deserves it's own thread, rather than hijacking the "stash" thread: terrible things you could do to a Handley Page Haystack <sorry> Heyford......

Is there anything more terrible you can do to a HP Heyford than build it as an accurate, real world aircraft  :rolleyes:

jcf

Horses for courses. Personally I've always liked the Heyford and find it attractive and
an interesting approach to to meeting a spec.

McColm

Two ideas,
First use the wings on a Avro Lancaster- pre Manchester concept.
Second add the rotation gear from a Revel or Airfix Rotodyne. 
Or you could just add a glazed cockpit.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on May 10, 2014, 03:42:05 PM

HP did that on some of the later Heyfords, although it wasn't the prettiest canopy I've ever seen.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 10, 2014, 04:09:04 PM
Quote from: McColm on May 10, 2014, 03:42:05 PM

HP did that on some of the later Heyfords, although it wasn't the prettiest canopy I've ever seen.

As the above photo of the K4029 demonstrates, it was similar to that of K3503 which was
also supposed to receive Pegasus engines. Drawings were done but Pegasus was never
installed on any Heyford.

Nose turrets were considered and a wind-tunnel model tested a redesign with an enclosed
cabin filling the gap between the fuselage and lower wing, this featured a new bomb-aimer
position and ventral turret. Never seen a pic but I'm thinking it may have looked a bit like a
Heyford that had run over a Hampden.
;D

Weaver

Remove all weapons and fit a totally glazed gondola in the gap between the fuselage and lower wing that extends from just behind the props to the former ventral gun position. What have you got? perfect air-sightseeing aircraft: imagine one flying down the Grand Canyon.... ;D

- Indiana Jones

The Rat

Quote from: Weaver on May 11, 2014, 04:03:06 AM
Remove all weapons and fit a totally glazed gondola in the gap between the fuselage and lower wing that extends from just behind the props to the former ventral gun position. What have you got? perfect air-sightseeing aircraft: imagine one flying down the Grand Canyon.... ;D

Along the lines of the idea I have for the Amiot 143 in my stash.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

zenrat

OK then.  Air Pirate Heyford inspired by Porco Rosso and Stop the Pigeon.

Obviously it needs floats.  Or more precisely a single hull mounted below the lower wing.  This would feature an open position at the front with a crew served harpoon gun for spearing the smaller aircraft and yachts it was preying on and a serious engine driven winch to wind them in.  The rear of the hull would also be open with a couple of heavy machine guns on swivel mounts on each side and a dingy on davits across the back.
An additional 2 engines would obviously be needed so push pull nacelles would be in order with large radiators mounted above the engines (just 'cause I like the look).  Walkways with safety rails along the top of the wing and alongside the engines to allow for in flight servicing and repair.
Nose gunner, cockpit and dorsal gun as per usual but add a tail gunner.
Biplane tail and to cap it all add a third wing with another 2 gun positions.
Total crew would be 15.
Captain
Pilot
Nose Gunner
Dorsal Gunner
Tail Gunner
2 Upper Wing Gunners
4 Hull Gunners/Boat Crew
Master Harpoonist
Harpoonists Mate
Chef
Roger the Cabin Boy

Paint would be Black/Red/White splinter pattern with large Skull and Crossbones wherever possible.
It might be necessary to have a mast and crows nest mounted on the top wing.

To build this i'd use 2 Matchbox Heyfords with a 1/25 Revell Hemi Hydro speed boat providing the Hull.

Or maybe I could use A 1/72 Revell Pirate Ship in which case i'd retain the cannons so I could fire broadsides...

If anyone wants to build this feel free.  I'm unlikely to do so as they won't let me have sharp things here and it's hard to build in the jacket where the sleeves tie at the back...

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

pyro-manic

Mediterranean luxury cruiser for the stinking rich. Four (or maybe six?) engines on extended wings, floats, double-decker passenger cabin in a stretched, deepened fuselage, bigger tail surfaces. Promenade deck on rear upper fuselage(!).
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

ericr

ericr

Quote from: ericr on May 11, 2014, 11:43:23 PM
Quote from: zenrat on May 11, 2014, 06:33:43 AM
Obviously it needs floats.  

yes !

could be simply inspired by a Gotha UWD

I built something like that in the past, painted red