Handley Page Heyford ideas

Started by Weaver, May 10, 2014, 10:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on May 12, 2014, 09:00:04 AM
...So zenrat, re: the Hemi-Hydro build, something along the lines of the Dornier RS.III then?...

I'd forgotten about that.  Dornier came up with some wonderful seaplane designs.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ericr

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on May 12, 2014, 09:00:04 AM

So zenrat, re: the Hemi-Hydro build, something along the lines of the Dornier RS.III then?

this line of Dornier flying boat is indeed astonishing : an actual boat, flying.

Rheged

This might interest people.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-27393558

Look at the  birth of radar memorial plaque  about half way down the page........
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Captain Canada

That Heyford floatplane is awesome !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

Surprised no one's proposed something like this yet:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Interesting that the May issue of SAM carries an in-depth article on the Heyford and a pretty good build feature on the original kit too. Right at the end the builder suggests that a folding wing Sea Heyford may be worth thinking about.  ;D

Can you IMAGINE the size of the carrier you'd need, and the height of the hangar deck!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: Weaver on May 15, 2014, 09:37:04 AM
Surprised no one's proposed something like this yet:

I like that! I suppose the obvious whif would be to build it with the fuselage attached to the lower wing, and the engines on either the lower wing or the struts between them.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

jcf

Quote from: The Rat on May 15, 2014, 12:24:58 PM
I like that! I suppose the obvious whif would be to build it with the fuselage attached to the lower wing, and the engines on either the lower wing or the struts between them.

PR19_Kit

Apparently the reason why HP built it like that was so it could be re-armed and re-fueled without stopping the engines. Makes some sort of sense I suppose.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I thought about a special ops version for inserting Special Air Service* troops behind enemy lines (it's the spats, they remind me of a giant Lysander).  I would name it the Hereford (ignoring later useage).

*Yes, I know, but what if they grew out of Lawrence's ops in the middle east.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on May 15, 2014, 05:20:46 PM
I thought about a special ops version for inserting Special Air Service* troops behind enemy lines (it's the spats, they remind me of a giant Lysander).  I would name it the Hereford (ignoring later useage).

You could seal the bomb bay doors shut, install some seats on top of the sealed doors, cut holes in the top of the bomb bay and add set of small windscreens for the SAS boyos. Then all they'd have to do make their drops was to stand up and roll over backwards off the lower wing.........  ;D :lol:

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Good view of the enclosed cockpit:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 15, 2014, 10:20:14 AM
Interesting that the May issue of SAM carries an in-depth article on the Heyford and a pretty good build feature on the original kit too. Right at the end the builder suggests that a folding wing Sea Heyford may be worth thinking about.  ;D

Haven't read the article yet but in his photo the author looks so serious you wouldn't dream of that comment coming from that mouth.......well done mate  :thumbsup:

The enclosed cockpit version has me thinking of a shoulder wing monoplane development with long legs a la the Stirling. Might not be to difficult
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

From the drawings in SAM the Heyford with the enclosed cockpit (very neat to my mind) had a fairing that went back over the wing to give some shelter for the mid-upper gunner. Try as I might I can't find a photo that shows that but it makes you wonder at the height of the ladder that the photog used too get that pic above!  :o

Regards
Kit