Helicopter piston engines query

Started by Weaver, May 20, 2014, 04:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Yep, a Merlin 24 rated 1,610 hp at 3,000 rpm (take-off), 1,125 continuous.
I wonder what the power-loss was through the drive system.  ;D

jcf

BTW Kit, it seems Eduard have followed your longer wings credo with their new 109 kit.  ;D

Weaver

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on May 21, 2014, 11:29:36 AM
Also remember that while the Mil-4 looks like an S-55, due to similar mechanical
and fuselage layout, it is actually larger than the S-58/Wessex. So the choice of the
Ash-82V as power-plant to drive a four-bladed rotor system is unsurprising.

Well that's where I started from: could you "sell" the idea of a Mil-4 whiffed into a UK helo project? Superficially it looks like it'd be direct competition for the Whirlwind, but actually it would be in a higher power class, so there might be room for it, IF you could claim a credible UK engine for it. I suppose the other thing you could do is give it a Wright R-1820-84 like the S-58, thus making a nice contrast: the Whirlwind (in it's developed version) was a US airframe with a UK engine, while the "British Hound" would be a UK airframe with a US engine.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

... or a P & W R-1830-94, keeping the 14-cylinder theme.

What the heck, use the R-2000, same 1,350hp rating as the Ash-82V,
but much lighter weight.  ;D

kitnut617

Well if you want a larger Whirlwind and keep the Whirlwind look, there's a couple of kits that were 1/65 and 1/70? Charmore made a 1/65 kit and Tomiyama made the 1/70th one. Thing is though, try finding one --
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

rickshaw

But what would it's name be?  "Hound" is a bit well, bland.  Who'd be it's manufacturer?  Bristol?  Then it'd have to start with "B" - "Beagle", "Bulldog"?  It'd need to be a British breed, of course!   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 21, 2014, 02:18:10 PM
Well if you want a larger Whirlwind and keep the Whirlwind look, there's a couple of kits that were 1/65 and 1/70? Charmore made a 1/65 kit and Tomiyama made the 1/70th one. Thing is though, try finding one --

No need: got a new KP Hound for a bargain price at a show. Trying to figure out what to do with it is what got me into this.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on May 21, 2014, 05:52:48 PM
But what would it's name be?  "Hound" is a bit well, bland.  Who'd be it's manufacturer?  Bristol?  Then it'd have to start with "B" - "Beagle", "Bulldog"?  It'd need to be a British breed, of course!   :thumbsup:

Manufacturer is an invented one: Southerland Aircraft, who's history runs curiously parrallel to another manufacturer in the south west of England... ;) When they moved into helicopters post-war, they stopped rigidly using "S" names the way the other one stopped rigidly using "W" ones.

Great minds and all that: I got to "Beagle" a couple of hours ago.  ;D  I like "Bulldog" though: it suites the look and character of the thing.. :thumbsup:

- Indiana Jones

rickshaw

List of dog breeds originating in Britain, should satisfy your needs.  How about a Sutherland Springer?  ;D ;D
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.