The Northrop B-49A Manta Ray from my universe. Revell Arado Ar.555

Started by CSMO, May 21, 2014, 09:38:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSMO

In the universe in my head, Jack "Mr. Flying Wing" Northrop went all ga-ga when he got access to the plans for the Arado New York bomber.
He got Congress to fork over some cash to develop it as a competitor in the USAF Medium/attack bomber project, competing with the XB-51 and E.E. Canberra among others.

Pratt and Whitney re-engineered the German engines to get much improved reliability and fuel economy. The Air Force issued an initial contract for 100 of the bombers, designated B-49s.  The name Manta Ray was chosen. This aircraft was stationed at the U.S.  Air Force Base in Bittburg, West Germany in March 1950.

This is a very nice kit with no vices at all. I built it OOB, using a fishing weight and two spent .45 Colt slugs for nose ballast.

It has been brush-painted Humbrol #11 Silver. The interior is a mix of Testors Yellow and Model Master Green Zinc Chromates.

The markings are all scraps from the spares box, with the 10th Air Force patch added for a smidgin of color. The serial # reflects 1946 as the year of the purchase contract. From the box-art I figured it would be a fairly large airplane, but it is roughly the size of the Canberra. Here is a shot of it with my just finished Italeri B-57B.

I chose a USAF "whiffer" scheme because I couldn't come up with a plausible Luftwaffe '46 scheme that was uniquely mine.

Adios, Larry.
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

Logan Hartke

I've got to admit, that's the most realistic-looking Ar.555 I've ever seen!

Cheers,

Logan

TallEng

An original take on the Revell Arado 555 :thumbsup:
Looks good like that ;D

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Dizzyfugu

Cool... hauntingly plausible for the late 40ies. Like the USAF typo on the leading edge  :thumbsup:

sandiego89

Really well done.  I like it.  Imressive brush skills on a tough color to brush.  Since you commented on the need to give some color, maybe some wing walk marking to give it some color top side- engine technicians would have to climb on top to service the engines.  Or leading edge of the wing and tails in black as an anti-icing boot.  I always find black looks good agianst silver for some relief.   :thumbsup:
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Army of One

BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

CSMO

Quote from: sandiego89 on May 22, 2014, 05:23:42 AM
Really well done.  I like it.  Imressive brush skills on a tough color to brush.  Since you commented on the need to give some color, maybe some wing walk marking to give it some color top side- engine technicians would have to climb on top to service the engines.  Or leading edge of the wing and tails in black as an anti-icing boot.  I always find black looks good agianst silver for some relief.   :thumbsup:

I am building a Black B-57B Canberra. I am saving my energy for the Red wing-walk markings on that model. The trick on the paint is to get it stirred and thinned just right and use soft brushes. Adios, Larry.
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

Howard of Effingham

arado ar.555's seem to be catching at the mo' on this site...... ;D

but i do like yours though.  :thumbsup:
Keeper of George the Cat.

Captain Canada

I thought it was alot bigger myself ! Doesn't look it next to the B-57 tho !

Nice work. The bomb bay looks massive !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

McColm

Wow!
Got one of those in my stash. A kitbash with a B-29 would look great.

MMM

Nice! Wonder what it would look like with two of the B-36 jet pods in place of those six smaller engines?
MMM- aka "M3", aka "Major Matt Mason"
Lawrence, KS

PR19_Kit

Quote from: MMM on July 05, 2014, 08:07:08 AM
Nice! Wonder what it would look like with two of the B-36 jet pods in place of those six smaller engines?

Someone in the UK SIG did exactly that as I recall. It was on the stand at a recent show.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit