Pratt and Whitney Canada Boeing 720

Started by Captain Canada, May 22, 2014, 08:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Former engine test bed flying out of St. Hubert PQ now residing at the RCAF Memorial Museum

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Cobra

That Plane looks Cool & Stylish in that Paint Scheme :thumbsup: :thumbsup: However, i Bet it Would be an RPIA to Reproduce that Scheme in a scale Model of That Jet! Thanks for Posting :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

Weaver

The radomes are interesting on an engine testbed: any idea what it was testing with them?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on May 23, 2014, 03:21:14 AM
The radomes are interesting on an engine testbed: any idea what it was testing with them?

IIRC the radome in the pod above the cockpit was the original weather radome that was in the nose cone when it was a 'normal' 720. Then it had a test PT-6 mounted in the nose position so the radar had to be moved.

Later it had test engines mounted on a stub wing on the starboard side of the nose, you can see the stub in the Captain's pics still, but I'm not sure if it ever flew with test engines in BOTH positions at the same time.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I just dug further into this and it looks as if the nose position was used to test turbo-props and the stub wing position to test turbo-fans. Obvious really had I thought about it.  :banghead:

If you Google 'C-FETB' under 'Images' there are ZILLIONS of pics of the aircraft in various modes, and it occurs to me that it's very modellable now that Roden have come out with their 720 kit. Converting a 707 into a 720 is a bitch of a job, I did it once!

And I love the pun of the aircraft's reggie too. C-FETB, think about it.....  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Dang, that is ugly....perfect for this forum.  Thanks for posting. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 23, 2014, 04:45:01 AM
I just dug further into this and it looks as if the nose position was used to test turbo-props and the stub wing position to test turbo-fans. Obvious really had I thought about it.  :banghead:

If you Google 'C-FETB' under 'Images' there are ZILLIONS of pics of the aircraft in various modes, and it occurs to me that it's very modellable now that Roden have come out with their 720 kit. Converting a 707 into a 720 is a bitch of a job, I did it once!

And I love the pun of the aircraft's reggie too. C-FETB, think about it.....  ;D

I thought the Airfix E-3 was really a 720 Kit
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Old Wombat

My versions of C-FETB;

clean: Canadian Fit Everything Test Bed

unclean: Canadian F___ing Everything Test Bed

Although I'm sure others can come up with better.

PS: Not quite as over-blown as C-FETB but I worked on this.

A hint at what's on the nose.

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

I hadn't realized that Kit, and I said it right in my first post.....Former Engine Test Bed !

:thumbsup: :lol:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 23, 2014, 05:43:04 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 23, 2014, 04:45:01 AM

I don't think so, it may be a 707-420 with added CFM-56s though. A 720 is quite a bit shorter than most 707s and it has an extended leading edge inboard of the #2 and #3 engines, together with different flaps IIRC.

I expect JCF will give be able to give us  chapter and verse on it too.   ;D

I figured that C-FETB stood for 'Canadian Flying Engine Test Bed' as opposed to a gound based one.   ;)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 23, 2014, 12:43:06 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on May 23, 2014, 05:43:04 AM

I don't think so, it may be a 707-420 with added CFM-56s though. A 720 is quite a bit shorter than most 707s and it has an extended leading edge inboard of the #2 and #3 engines, together with different flaps IIRC.

I expect JCF will give be able to give us  chapter and verse on it too.   ;D

I figured that C-FETB stood for 'Canadian Flying Engine Test Bed' as opposed to a gound based one.   ;)

Found this diagram of the various 707 wings, I was thinking of the 707-320B which the Airfix E-3 is based on.

But your 720 wing shouldn't have created too much of a problem, just a lerx in between the fuselage and inner engine by the looks of it ---

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike