a sailing seaplane (following : a flying boat, quite litterally)

Started by ericr, May 23, 2014, 12:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Hi Eric, the figure is wearing a fundoshi, traditional Japanese male underwear.

ericr

somewhere in my boxes of spare parts, I just stumbled upon the hull and cabin of a sikorsky S-38 ...
(why would they have put a spare hull and cabin anyway? but there it is ...)

would I make a boat with it?

or else fit it with wings untought of originally??? (how long then?)

zenrat

An S-38 hull would make a rather nice 30's style motor launch - all polished wood and brass.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 11, 2014, 04:24:41 AM
An S-38 hull would make a rather nice 30's style motor launch - all polished wood and brass.

Wasn't that what it was ? Always looked like that stuck wings on a posh "speedboat"
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

uncle les

jcf

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 11, 2014, 07:13:50 AM

Wasn't that what it was ? Always looked like that stuck wings on a posh "speedboat"

Nope, it was all aluminum.  ;D

ericr

Quote from: uncle les on June 14, 2014, 05:12:18 PM
Hey I got one of those !  Boat that flies....

:lol:

now, that is quite something !!! :blink: :blink: :blink:
flabbergasting is the word I guess?
It is extermely impressive, thanks for sharing it!  :thumbsup: :bow:

ericr

Quote from: uncle les on June 14, 2014, 05:12:18 PM
Hey I got one of those !  Boat that flies....

:lol:

it looks a bit like an Ekranoplan, also, no?

NARSES2

Oh my that flying "destroyer" is just marvellous  :thumbsup:

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on June 14, 2014, 09:28:35 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on June 11, 2014, 07:13:50 AM

Ah, thanks. You live and learn - if your sensible  :rolleyes:

Nope, it was all aluminum.  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Nice.
"Comrades, we have captured carrotcake island for mother Russia.  We shall never be hungry again!"
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

maxmwill

On the subject of a boat that flies, or a sailing sailplane, there is one other alternative to this.

However, I have to take this to where there was a precedent for this.

If memory serves me(and, you have to remember that the 2nd sign of old age is loss, or reduction of memory, the first sign I have forgotten about) is that the early float planes and some flying boats(I think the flying boats used these) were canoe and other hulls.

So, armed with that little bit(I know, I might be stretching things a bit), wouldn't it be possible to take an air boat, a swamp buggy, so popular in some US movies and tv shows when the setting is in the Bayou, add a set of wings, have a tail mounted on a couple booms attached to the hull of the thing, and something far more powerful than the Lycoming or Continental opposed 6 cylinder they normally have?

And for a cabin structure, you could have something that is closed on 3 sides, while being open in back.

Now, before you might point out that if it doesn't have a step, but a flat bottom with a keel on some sort, you could either have a set of wedges across the center or around the center of gravity(when wedges are used on a regular boat, they are mounted  under the stern, and help keep the bow from going up when the boat is traveling at high speed), or perhaps a set of hydrofoils on kind of short struts, long enough to raise the whole craft sufficiently out of the water, yet short enough to not interfere with very much when they are possibly retracted.

The basis for this was a model Dumas RC airboat that I built a long time ago that I wanted to do more than just chase the ducks at a local pond where a lot of us took our RC watercraft too. As I was also heavily into RC airplanes, and had been wondering if I could afford that scale Catalina I had hoped for(no, I couldn't, but that didn't stop me from dreaming), I decided to see if I could give that little Dumas(the .049 powered airboat) some wings, a tail, and more engine power(tried with an .049 at first, which was embarrassing, then tried a pair of them, mounted in a pull pull arrangement, and that still didn't work. Got a OS Wankle, and after a lot of extra structure added, that worked). I didn't even have to have stabilizing floats.

ericr

it does sound interesting indeed  :thumbsup: : is there a result to be shown?

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

McColm

There is a picture in October 2014 www.FineScale.com page 37 of Scott Newlands, Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia. He used an Academy 1/72 scale B-29A and based it on the 1980's film "The Last Flight of Noah's Ark".By removing wings and tail, added interior detail and a bamboo deck, mast and launching craddle.