LF 1/72 Spitfire contra-props

Started by rickshaw, May 24, 2014, 12:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

I'd rather not have to buy and butcher a kit, just for the props but I'm looking for 1/72 Spitfire contra-props as used on the late model Spitfires.  Anybody got some or know where I can get some aftermarket some?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Aeroclub do a great set in white metal, if you can contact John Adams of course.  I can't remember how you do that I'm afraid but I know someone on here does for sure.

That's the contra-props I used on my MB8 Marlin and they're really good to work with.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Colin at Freightdog does a neat Seafire Mk.46 conversion that has contra-props Brian, also any of the Special Hobby late Spitfire/Seafire kits have both five blader and contra-props in the kits
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

rickshaw

Doesn't appear on the Freightdog website anymore.  :(

kitnut617

Email him Brian, sometimes he has them but they're not on the website.

deathjester

The Wooksta!

The AZ Spitfire 21/22/24/Seafire 45/46 kits have both 5 blade standard and 6 blade contra on the sprues, so you'd get your prop plus a free Spit into the bargain.

And if you've go for either the 21 or 45, a full spare fuselage and tailplanes into the bargain.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

The Wooksta!

A more important question is what are they for?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

rickshaw

rickshaw

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

rickshaw

Quote from: rickshaw on May 25, 2014, 02:20:22 AM
Quote from: deathjester on May 24, 2014, 03:44:13 PM
LOOK!!  Look what I've found - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-72-Aeroclub-Spitfire-Seafire-Contra-Rotating-Prop-/141292121292?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item20e5aaaccc

Thanks, that's the ticket.  Now I just have to win the auction.  ;)

Lost it.  Damn.   :banghead:

Looks like the Legato Seafire 47 is the cheapest at the moment.

The Wooksta!

The Special Hobby late mark Spits/Seafires also come with contra prop bits on the sprues - by and large the sprues are standard plus an extra one for the specific variant (the Seafire 46 gives you two fuselages!) - but compared to the Aeroclub, CMR, Airkit/Freightdog and AZ/Legato ones, it's too small in diameter.

Maybe an expensive way to get some contra props, but at least you're left with a couple of free Spitfires,

AFAIK, Legato haven't done a Seafire 47.  Definitely a 46 (I have both resin and injection).

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitnut617

Freightdog's contra-prop measures out to 10'-3" diameter, the Eduard Mk.21 kit comes with a contra-prop too and that one measures out to 11'-0", there's quite a visible difference between the two.

Eduard contra-prop

Freightdog contra-prop