The BMW/Trabant Mistel

Started by zenrat, May 26, 2014, 01:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

For the special build theme of Eurovision at the Ballarst NNL I created the BMW/Trabant Mistel.

Revell Trabant 601s
Trabant 601s 007 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Plus Monogram BMW 635csi
BMW 635 5 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

And a scratched up slide & tilt roof rack (held on with rare earth magnets) equals a contraption which I have no idea what purpose it would fill.
The voices in my head are pleased with it though.
Trabant BMW Mistel 1 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The unloading process;

<EDIT.  08-09-2022.  Edited to replace boto-phucked pictures.  The animated Gif however continues to work and evades my attempts to transplant it elsewhere and remain animated. I shall leave it where it is as for now boto phucket continue to host my pictures (albeit with gert big watermarks on) despite me refusing to have anything to do with them.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

LOL - like it!  :thumbsup: ;D

If it's a "proper" mistel though, shouldn't the Trabby come off the back of the Beemer, leaving the latter to run into it's target?  ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

As long as your inner voices are happy, we are happy.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on May 26, 2014, 02:07:53 AMIf it's a "proper" mistel though, shouldn't the Trabby come off the back of the Beemer, leaving the latter to run into it's target?  ;)

Not if the purpose is to get the small vehicle to where it's needed more quickly as was the plan with the Fw190/Ta154 combination which is what set the ball rolling on this thought process in the first place.

Maybe it's for beating congestion charges?
Do the bits between cites on the Autobahn at speed in the Beemer and then when you get to town where tolls are based on vehicle size you unload the Trabby and go about your business (pumping out a noxious fug of unburnt fuel and 2 stroke fumes).
I'm not sure myself.  Sometimes the voices don't explain fully...
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Weaver

Ah, right: I was thinking of the "bomber" mistels...

You could do an up-market one with a Smart Car on the roof.... ;D

OR

A dubiously "green" one with a small electric vehicle similar to a Sinclair C5 on the roof of the most outrageous, gas-guzzling V8 Yank-Tank you can find.... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

ericr

grandiose !  :cheers:

excellent voices you've been listening to,
even (or all the more) if they leave room for interpretations

zenrat

It was suggested on Sunday at the show that I mount a Messerschmitt bubble car on top of the Trabby. and then mount the whole lot on a Mercedes Limo on an Opel Truck.

Isn't this basically what's going on when you see a bicycle on the roof rack of a Porsche SUV?
Fred

Hobbes

Obviously it's for endurance racing. The BMW does most of the race, and deploys the Trabant instead of doing another fuel stop near the end of the race.  ;D

Weaver

Not quite the same thing, but I once saw a vehicle at a bike show that was a Luton-bodied van (an ex GPO Bedford, I think) with the entire bodyshell of a VW camper van glass-fibred onto it's roof, and yes, the camper's roof extension was up, you k'now, for that bit of extra room.......... ;D

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on May 26, 2014, 03:57:04 AM
It was suggested on Sunday at the show that I mount a Messerschmitt bubble car on top of the Trabby. and then mount the whole lot on a Mercedes Limo on an Opel Truck.

Isn't this basically what's going on when you see a bicycle on the roof rack of a Porsche SUV?

Alternatively, you could put one of these on the roof: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MZ-TS-250-1-1-24-IXO-Atlas-Editions-motorcycle-from-DDR-Eastern-Germany-/251531228099?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item3a906df3c3

- Indiana Jones

nighthunter

Are those voices in your head, per chance, the gentlemen from Top Gear?
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

zenrat

Interesting link Weaver.  I'm taken with the 350 Jawa the seller also has (I've had a couple of 1:1s) although price is a bit steep.

Nighthunter - definitely not.  These bicker more...
Fred

sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Captain Canada

Now that is awesome ! Love the look of both cars ( especially the Trabant ) and your rig/ unloading gif is just wicked ! Nice one !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Fred