Hunter T.12

Started by Devilfish, May 29, 2014, 10:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

For those that don't know, the T.12 was the aircraft that TSR2 crews were to do their conversion training on, then move onto the T.2 TSR2, if it got built.
The T.12 was to have the "big bore" engine of the FGR9 and I believe the F6 had it too, but normal Hunter T-birds had the smaller bore.
Also, a bulge on the nose houses TSR2 systems.

The kit is the 1/48 Revell/Academy kit, with the Heritage Aviation T.7 Conversion.  This nicely comes with a corrected exhaust and wheels.

It is done in a What-if 237 OCU markings, using an Eagle with a mortar board hat.

PR19_Kit

I've always found the Hunter T12 to be a fascinating aircraft, and it's a pity they only ever made one of them in the real world. It looks darn good in a pukka 237 OCU scheme, better than the psuedo Raspberry Ripple schme the real one carried.

I've got my own take on the T12 sitting on my Project Shelf, and it should see the light of day sometime before 2020.......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

I'll have to measure the width of the 1/72 TSR2 and see if the T7 conversion fits, otherwise its the Matchbox T55 Lightning.
Great build.

TallEng

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 30, 2014, 04:38:57 AM
I've always found the Hunter T12 to be a fascinating aircraft, and it's a pity they only ever made one of them in the real world. It looks darn good in a pukka 237 OCU scheme, better than the psuedo Raspberry Ripple schme the real one carried.

I've got my own take on the T12 sitting on my Project Shelf, and it should see the light of day sometime before 2020.......

But when it first appeared was it not in that rather fetching Emerald Green and White scheme? :wub:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Hawker-Hunter-T12/1412495/M/

As seen (hopefully) here

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TallEng on May 31, 2014, 11:22:37 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 30, 2014, 04:38:57 AM

But when it first appeared was it not in that rather fetching Emerald Green and White scheme? :wub:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Hawker-Hunter-T12/1412495/M/

Interestingly in that 1976 pic '531 doesn't have the TSR2 bulge on the top of the nose and seems to have a sideways pointing camera port there as well.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

TallEng

Hadn't even noticed that :blink: for me '531 always has a bump on the nose ;D
1976 wasn't that the 25th Anniversary of the Hunter at Greenham?

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TallEng on May 31, 2014, 01:37:47 PM
1976 wasn't that the 25th Anniversary of the Hunter at Greenham?

I think so, sadly one that I missed as I was riding on VERY quick trains at the time.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

My 'Telford Cold' having abated somewhat I'm back in the model room again.  ;D

This morning I hauled my Hunter T12 bits and pieces off the Project Shelf and delved back into the numerous packets and boxes there. This is surely going to be the work of many hands, some commercial and some that of Whiffers from here.

An incomplete list would be :- Revell, Airfix, Freightdog, Maintrack, Pavla, Quickboost, Aeroclub, OGL, Rickshaw and JayBee, with the mixing and matching done by me. It could be quite a long build, but then mine usually are. For sure it will be interesting, and hopefully with a good looking result.

Regards
Kit