What's on Howard of Effingham's 1/72 modelling bench..... and not?!

Started by Howard of Effingham, June 03, 2014, 02:43:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard of Effingham

the bearcat made its first appearance at the birmingham show and seemed to be well recieved.

but.....
Keeper of George the Cat.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Captain Canada

Is it that time yet ?

:thumbsup:

Glad to hear they people liked it !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Howard of Effingham

its been a long while since i scribbled anything here, but i have been quite busy this summer even if my posts
elsewhere suggest otherwise, applying for [and sorting all the related admin'] for a place on the EYFS p/t degree
programme at the university of warwick. surprisingly i got myself a place and start all being well later on this month. it is a degree programme aimed at those with several years of school and or setting related experience to top up and increase their professional knowledge of the early years and foundation stages of schooling over here.

it will be lots of hard work for the next three or so years, but will be worth it. i am fortunate to have the backing
of the school where i have volunteered now for nearly three years, and feel i have done very well to get a place
at warwick, as it is one of the UK's best universities.

i think my modelling will take a back seat. the number of shows i attend will go down and i will probably post less here, but i thought readers ought to have an update.

now where's my sprue cutters......  ;D :o

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

You'll do well on your course by what you told me. Well done!

Howard of Effingham

hmm, studies aside, they started in earnest this monday evening and i'm the only gent in a class of 16....... :o

meanwhile brewing on the bench is roughly as follows.

one matchbox HS125-600 as 'project zebra' in service with the RAF circa 1977

one highly modified HS125 Dominie nav' trainer in service with the RAF circa 1972.

the former has its lumps and bumps added from a C-Scale conversion kit for the A-6E TRAM and doesn't look too
different from SFTB. however the latter, has taken parts from two airfix HS125 Dominie's to give a big fuselage
stretch and will get some redundant engine pods from an airfix 1/144 VC-10 for super-power. i may extend the
wings a little so the end result is probably going to look like a baby gulfstream IV.

last night i was able to put both a/c next to one another on the bench and was mighty impressed with how they
were going to look.  ;D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on October 23, 2014, 01:59:56 AM
......and will get some redundant engine pods from an airfix 1/144 VC-10 for super-power. i may extend the
wings a little so the end result is probably going to look like a baby gulfstream IV.

Or a Jetstar even? Sounds like an excellent couple of builds.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on October 23, 2014, 01:59:56 AM
hmm, studies aside, they started in earnest this monday evening and i'm the only gent in a class of 16....... :o

That can be a bit daunting to start with. having been a manager in charge of 12 women/girls at one point I can tell you now that their conversation can get far worse the a group of blokes. Down right embarrassing at times  :wacko: :blink:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Howard of Effingham

both of these HS-125 based builds have been inspired by the new book 'Listening In', which has been extensively discussed [and bought elsewhere] on this 'ere site.

the 'project zebra' is probably still on the umm whiff list and i am not sure how much i can say about it,  ;D other
than i thought that i could pinch the ideas of the RAF's 1970's 'project zabra' as stuffed in a canberra and stuff
'em in a 125 instead. there is now an outside chance that i can get this done for SMW2014 as yesterday i was
able to mask the cabin and cockpit windows and the chosen paint scheme easy to do and no its not all over grey.

the other is a much more involved conversion as you can imagine and won't be ready until the new year. its
premise started with the idea of RAF Germany using converted HS-125's as 'flight checking' a/c from the mid-60's
with a lil' bit of elint on the air corridors to berlin as a neat sideline. such was the success that HS were given a
contract for a larger four engined recce version and the type saw long service into the 1990s with the RAF on a
global basis, including ascension, gan and kai tak. my version will be that of its last few months of service. one
thing i will need is some advice on doing winglets; and or can i adapt some of the very largest ones from 1/144
scale that come with many airliner kits [or there's that aftermarket co. that seems to have racks of resin airliner
accessories at SMW].

anyhow, i've let the cat out of the bag with model number three in this series as the observant will see. 

PR19_Kit

I'be got a spare set of aftermarket 747-400 winglets you'd be welcome to Trevor. Since Revell bought out the whole 747-400 kit they've been surplus to requirements.

Regards
Kit

Howard of Effingham

thanks kit.  :thumbsup:

please bring them to SMW and you'll get the lightning decal sheet in exchange.

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?