The Red Arrows support aircraft

Started by McColm, June 04, 2014, 11:55:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Hello,
I've picked up a copy of 'Red Arrows 50 years of ECLACT' by Tim Callaway. Retailed at WH Smiths Charring Cross Station. Flicking through the pages I noticed that there hasn't been a dedicated support aircraft painted in their distinctive colour scheme.
Other display teams have used the Lockheed Constellation or C-130 as in the US Navy Blue Angels.
My first thought was the Amstrong Whitworth Argosy C Mk1 as this was the first aircraft used for the groundcrew and support equipment to travel with the newly formed Red Arrows back in 1964.But the kit is expensive.
There have been C-130s and you could paint a Voyager to match the 2014 scheme.
Then there is the new Airbus Atlas or a C-17 Globemaster.
For me I'd source my stash:
Avro Shackleton as an Argosy alternative
BAe Nimrod without the MAD boom
Lockheed Constellation (although never used in service by the RAF)
An-124 ( could be leased with other sponsorship logos)
HS Comet C4
Airbus A300B

sandiego89

I'd vote a Belfast during the Gnat period.  Could unbolt the Gnat wings and load up the whole team for an overseas tour! No need for long overwater hops in the Gnat.   

(just slightly exagerating before anyone counters with the overall dimensions of 9 Gnats)
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on June 04, 2014, 12:34:15 PM
I'd vote a Belfast during the Gnat period.  Could unbolt the Gnat wings and load up the whole team for an overseas tour! No need for long overwater hops in the Gnat.  

(just slightly exagerating before anyone counters with the overall dimensions of 9 Gnats)

Having just spent an afternoon at Cosford and seen the hold and ramp of their Belfast again, I don't think you're far off the mark!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit