The Hawker P.V.5 Cyclone, the model.

Started by PR19_Kit, June 06, 2014, 03:39:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nighthunter

Kit, we have a cleaning solution in the states called simple green and it works well on plastic.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

PR19_Kit

The EU Commission would probably ban it over here Nighthunter!

I've just laid on the FOURTH primer coat, after some carefull sanding, and it looks just about OK. First colour coat goes on later tonight.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

nighthunter

Kit, glad everything worked out for the best, from the sound of it, anyway
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

zenrat

Sounds like a partially blocked nozzle.
You know you can strip paint off plastic with brake fluid or caustic soda solution?  It'll affect your filler though.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Whatever it was the problem never recurred and the 4th primer coat went on fine. I've got two coats of silver on it now and I've detailed some of panels with different silver shades and it's looking quite good.

But there's so much paint on the fuselage that all traces of the 'fabric' finish have vanished, it looks as if the fuselage has been skinned in plywood, so I may have to re-write the backstory.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 11, 2014, 11:38:47 AM
But there's so much paint on the fuselage that all traces of the 'fabric' finish have vanished, it looks as if the fuselage has been skinned in plywood, so I may have to re-write the backstory.  :banghead:

maybe not. you could alter the back story to explain about the dope of a painter [not yourself of course] who rather over did the painting in the factory.

i recall a letter to SAMI magazine years back where an old gentleman who'd been a painter/finisher in a WW2
british aircraft factory said that often dope for fabric finishes was often applied with a suitable floor broom and
sometimes none too precisely, especially where invasion stripes were concerned.
Keeper of George the Cat.

Weaver

Nice one Kit - be nice to see the outcome, paint probs notwithstanding.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on June 12, 2014, 04:14:06 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 11, 2014, 11:38:47 AM

maybe not. you could alter the back story to explain about the dope of a painter [not yourself of course] who rather over did the painting in the factory.

I used that get out for some crooked wing walk markings on a Meteor  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I've got to find some shinier silver for the cowling, it's not bright enough to see a marked difference from the doped fuselage. You can see the effect I want if you look at any pics of the Hawker bi-planes of the period, Hart, Hind, Audax, Osprey, Fury, etc., their cowlings postively SHONE against the doped fabric.

My Dad said the ground crew positively HATED AoC's inspections as they had to hand polish all their Audax cowlings to exactly the same level of shine when he was on 4 (AC) Sqdn.  ;D

Regards
Kit

TallEng

The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

zenrat

Yep.  I'd go for "new improved chrome".  The ultra shiny chrome is too shiny IMO.
Money can be saved by using foil from chocolate bars or very thin cooking foil (the really cheap stuff that tears when you so much as think about baking) glued on with spray adhesive - although i've always bought BMF as I know i'd just make a mess.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Humbrol Metalcote polished, or their ordinary Polished Aluminium enamel
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TallEng on June 13, 2014, 01:27:21 AM
Bare-metal foil is the stuff to use :thumbsup:

No it isn't, not for me anyway.

I once covered an entire Airfix F-27 Friendship that I'd converted into a Faichild-Hiller version in that stuff for a Bonanza Airlines scheme. NEVER again! It drove me nuts.

It has to be paint and I think I'm going with an old bottle of Pactra Chrome Silver I have  squirelled away.

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Citadel metallic come up quite nicely when brush painted.  I've not used the current range (it changed a year or two ago) and I've still got some of the older pots but from what I can gather they're largely the same, just have different names.  If you've got a Games Workshop store nearby you can get them there, I think Hobbycraft do them too.  They've got odd sounding names, but anything describing metal.

The 'silver' shades are:

Runefang Steel (a bright silver shade)
Ironbreaker (an aluminium shade)
Leadbelcher (a steel/light gunmetal shade)
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

I've used some Citadel paints already, the first attempt on the cowling was their 'Mithril Silver' (?) but it wasn't shiny enough.

I can't find the Pactra Chrome Silver bottle anywhere :banghead: but I found a part-used tin of Humbrol Metalcote Polished Aluminum which has gone on a TREAT!  :thumbsup:

I've now got the windscreen, prop, aerial mast and exhausts in place and it's starting to some together. It's been Kleared all over twice so tomorrow it's Decal Day.  ;D

Regards
Kit