Austin Fx4 taxi - Rat Rod or Hot Rod?

Started by McColm, June 07, 2014, 12:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Hi Guys,
The London taxi cab Austin FX4 is available through Revell or Aoshima. Its the same kit but the artwork on the box is different. There are faults as they both depict the latest version but the spruces are of the 1953 -1954 update version. The tiny rear indicators are the giveaway. Yes you could modernize it and go for the last production model of 1997. To save costs the drivers seat is one thick piece of moulded plastic, too big. Internal details sparse. There is a detailed engine bay of the LandRover 2.5L diesel manual four speed box, stickshift.
I tried building a Doormobile using parts from another Revell kit T3 VW Camper . Cutting the rear right door to simulate a sliding door and scribe the rear to make it look like a hatchback. Unti my nephew stepped on it. I could only salvage the roof.
But I found a copy of Scale Auto February 2013 and they have some cool pics of the 1932 Ford Sports Coupe Hot Rod.
I've watching Quest the series Sun Sin City and they build Rat Rods . I've always wanted to try out the new wash pigments and the rust effect and the London Black cab is crying out for this. Drop the roof way low. Remove the back seat and glue it in place of the drivers seat creating a bench seat. The rear windows could be blanked over to a van or cut the roof and turn it into a Ute/pick up truck. Change the wheels or body trim wheel arches. You've got to change that engine but keep the radiator grill.  I've got an Aoshima VW Beetle convertible and will be using body parts from that.
A short wheel version by removing the rear doors. I'll change the head lights or housing.
White wall tyres do look cool.
So that's one model, for the other a 1931 Bugatti Royal Cabriolet from Entex. Not a lot to do but a few changes and a great paint job.

jcf

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

McColm

Thanks for clearing that up,
So what do you Guys think about the idea?
Seen the Revell prices take a tumble, down to £10 postage free in the UK.
Also there have been a couple of Real World Taxi Rat Rods and Hot Rods, so I might not need to lower the roof.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Devilfish

My mate did one years ago which basically binned everything except the bodyshell.  Pro-street chassis and interior, panelled in rear doors and windows, rear door fitted, grill filled in and one piece flip front made.  Won best in show at Donny.

So theres plenty you can do with it, just depends on how much effort you are willing or able to put in....

zenrat

How about a rusty barn find Gasser?
Big John's football Austin has a vaguely similar shape.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

McColm

Thanks,
If the body was shortened, so no rear doors. C/D pillar taken out and moved forward. The back would look something like that picture, no not the tree! Just need some fat/wide tyres.

zenrat

AMT do a gasser wheels & tyres pack which would be perfect.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

McColm

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

Like this?
http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/garage/taxi-based-pick-up-38943

Shorten it too by cutting out the rear doors?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

Cross-kit with a Revell Austin, Anglia or Thames Panel gasser kit, the latter is in current re-release,
the first two have been released numerous times in various boxings.
That way you use the drag chassis and engine under the FX4 body, and put the Austin,
Anglia or Panel body on the FX4 chassis/floorpan.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on June 12, 2014, 02:15:29 PM
Like this?
http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/garage/taxi-based-pick-up-38943

Shorten it too by cutting out the rear doors?

I saw that thing some years ago, heading down the A13 inbound to London and it nust have had some meaty V8 aboard the way the exhaust rumbled! It look a seriously impressive piece of work but the owner must get teed off with people hailing him as he rumbles past.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Wow,
Great idea.
I was thinking of removing the rear doors and just keep the driver & passenger door. Bench seat in the front.