Austin Fx4 taxi - Rat Rod or Hot Rod?

Started by McColm, June 07, 2014, 12:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Go4fun

Quote from: Mossie on June 12, 2014, 02:15:29 PM
Like this?
http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/garage/taxi-based-pick-up-38943

Shorten it too by cutting out the rear doors?
Gasser? Hot Rod? Sleeper! A perfect little taxi and then the customer gets in and the world disappears in tire smoke and exhaust roar. Not to mention the nimrods who try you at a stop light and watch the taxi disappear into the sunset and tire haze.  :wacko:
Of course the front seat is full custom bucket seats and such while the back is luxury maximus.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

McColm

Another possibility is the Ute/pickup truck and lose the back seats or have them pop-up if stored away.
I was watching Quest , Chop Shop-London Garage and they were recreating the Rover Jet 1, P4 75 Cyclops Car for Jools Holland.
I know that the Austin Taxi isn't the same vehicle but I do have a Merlin engine from a 1/24 Airfix Hurricane. If the engine fits, I'll slice the roof off and use a single windscreen from the Lincoln Futura (batmobile look-a-like). The roof could be used to cover the exposed parts around the drivers' seat.
Or rear engine if it doesn't fit. Edges to be rounded, suspension lowered. If both windscreens fit cut to size, individual tub seats, air/radiator vents along body work. Lots of chrome exhaust pipes. Rearrange the headlights, tidy up the grill. Remove bumpers, New tyres.

McColm

Another idea springs to mind is the 1940s Batmobile, I think it was a spinoff film. Got the Corgi diecast in my stash. Black and red finish, with the large bat fin on the back.

Hobbes

QuoteMerlin engine from a 1/24 Airfix Hurricane. If the engine fits

Here's a Rover Meteor installed in a Rover SD1:

(that's Charlie Broomfield's car) So in an FX4 you're going to have a similar problem where half the engine will be aft of the firewall.

Weaver

James Bond version? Ejector seat, retractable weapons, telesocpic tire-slashers in the wheel hubs etc...?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Jeepers, that's a tight squeeze! They must have modified the front suspension as normally the lower links on an SD1 are mounted off the engine sub-frame and that one's totally different.

It looks a lot neater than the same engine in 'The Beast' though, but I hate to think what his fuel consumption is!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Get one of the AMT Parts Packs with the Allison V1710 - it'll work out cheaper than buying a 1/24 Airfix plane just for the engine.  Although of course you could still build the plane without an engine in it.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

McColm

Got a secondhand 1/24 Airfix Spitfire VB off eBay, the tail has some damage and some parts are missing. I think I only paid £10 for it.

Hobbes

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 24, 2014, 05:02:46 PM
Jeepers, that's a tight squeeze! They must have modified the front suspension as normally the lower links on an SD1 are mounted off the engine sub-frame and that one's totally different.

It looks a lot neater than the same engine in 'The Beast' though, but I hate to think what his fuel consumption is!  :o

I found some photos of the engine installation:

more here

McColm

Thanks.
I think Kit was right, might be better in a truck.
Or I could move the windscreen back to the rear doors, cut the roof and refit the dashboard. Blank out the front doors and extend the bonnet/hood. The back could get a hatchback.

PR19_Kit

That's amazing, the build pics are tremendous Harro, thanks for posting the link.

From them I can see what they did with the front suspension and it's very clever. Darn it, the whole THING is very clever!  :thumbsup:

I'm amazed it's not got more publicity as it was built in 2006, it certainly is one superb job of engineering.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: McColm on August 25, 2014, 12:59:13 AM
Got a secondhand 1/24 Airfix Spitfire VB off eBay, the tail has some damage and some parts are missing. I think I only paid £10 for it.
Bargain!
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

On the Merlin engined model front, here's the chassis of my 1/24 drag racing Chevy van with an Airfix Spitfire I engine mounted in the back. I orginally built it in 1974 and won the Hot Rod and Dragster Class with it at the IPMS Nats that year. ;D

It's being slowly rebuilt after falling off my model shelf a while back and I'm having problems re-doing the rather fragile front suspension. The wires and stuff hanging out the back are to connect up to the body mounted parachute BTW.

Regards
Kit

McColm

Quote from: zenrat on August 25, 2014, 02:35:02 AM
Quote from: McColm on August 25, 2014, 12:59:13 AM
Bargain!

With a few resin aftermarket kits the Spitfire will either be a Reno Racer or if I can get some forward swept wings for it something experimental.

McColm