Army Air Corp. Camouflage

Started by TallEng, June 20, 2014, 03:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallEng

Originally I think.. :rolleyes: The Army Air Corp. Helicopters like the scout, skeeter etc we're painted in wrap around green and brown, can anybody tell me roughly when they changed to green and black?

Thanks
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Aircav

It was the early to mid 1970's when they changed to the Black and Green camo on the Scouts, they went onto the smaller roundels to start with on the Brown and Green first then swapped the Brown for Black. The Skeeters and Sioux stayed in the Green and Brown.
Steve
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

TallEng

Thanks Steve, so it's entirely possible that a first generation Harrier entering service with the
A.A.C. Would have been in Overall Dark green/Brown camouflage ? :thumbsup:
Cracking :drink:

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

TsrJoe

a neat idea, iv always visualised a productionised P.1127 or Kestrel in the Dk. Green/Dk. Earth, AAC. scheme with standard roundels etc. a'la their Beaver etc. (might also work with light grey unders too to counter dark shadows ?) an 'idealised AAC. of the period might also include types such as the Shorts Skyvan (see Sultan of Oman Air Force !), as well as the Lynx and Gazelle in the earlier schemes (the latter two appearing as prototypes in these colours)

cheers, Joe  :thumbsup:
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Aircav

I did do a AAC Blue Eagles Skyvan a few years ago, sadly no longer with us, but I do plan on building another as well as a Green and Brown version too.

ps, The Lynx did look very nice in the Green and Brown camo.  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

TallEng

So at the risk of being accused of thread drift.... ;D (it's my thread and I'll drift it if I want ;))
I was looking in my AIRfile book on the first generation Harriers ( ostensibly for possible AAC load outs )
When I saw a Harrier with a small radome and Martels :thumbsup: and I thought what a splendid idea for
An earlier deployment of the Harrier aboard the RN's smaller carriers as fleet protection (Martels for ships/Subs and an early sidewinder for Aircraft?) or aboard H.M.S Bulwark or Albion when they where converted to Commando carriers, as CAS for the Royal Marines. I suppose they could even be flown/ belong to the Marines? :rolleyes: oh bother I can see I "need" a couple more early Harriers......  :o

Regards
Keith

Aircav

Both the AAC and RM Harrier ideas are good especially as at the time you are doing them for the RAF didn't like staying out with the Army over night, I remember my Father telling me that trying to get the RAF Belvederes to fly below 1000ft in Malaya was nigh on impossible. I know most of the RM pilots to start with were AAC until the got their own trained. AAC and RM Hawks maybe a good idea too for 1980's onwards.  ;) ;D
P1127 with wing pylons.

All the best
Steve

Sir Sydney Camm

Aircav

PS, You could do a Harrier GR Mk1 as AAC and a Mk3 as Royal Marines or even a Sea Harrier for CAS and Battlefield/Landing area CAP.  ;D

Sir Sydney Camm

DarrenP

Aircav

Hi Darren,
I've posted my reply in the link below, didn't want to highjack Kieths thread anymore than I have.  ;) ;D
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,7152.new.html#new
All the best
Steve

Sir Sydney Camm