Commissar Yarrick

Started by MichelC, June 28, 2014, 09:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichelC

Some modelers have assistants and I always wished to have one too! So I got myself one in the person of Commissar Yarrick, no less!

Well, he still needs to have some life imbued into him before he takes his place on the battlefield...er...on the bench I mean, but the groundwork has been done.

This is a GW Citadel Finecast resin figure. The detail is nicely intricate but the casting leaves a lot to be desired as you can see on the pix.

Our dear commissar was clearly in need of augmetics!

Brass mechadendrites and green hair are just the thing! ;D

That Storm Bolter was in serious need of improvement!

This is much better!

I'll spare you the work done to fix the countless micro bubbles and separating the parts attached to each other by blobs of resin.

Don't laugh but this preps job took me about a month. :o I'm happy to be done with it and ready for the coat of primer.

More to come...

M

pyro-manic

Ah, I still have the white metal version of ol' Yarrick kicking around somewhere. Nice repair work!
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Steel Penguin

well done on what you have done, that's a tidy job on finecast. thought the name is rather a misnomer  :banghead:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

MichelC

Thank you pyro-manic and Steel Penguin. I prefer the resin Yarrick to the white metal one, a matter of personal taste, but it's true that the resin fig needs a lot more prep work. Well, it's done now. On to the exciting part: painting!

M

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

MichelC

A little progress: the mini was fixed to its base and the latter was textured with sand and PVA glue. Rather basic but that's deliberate as a more elaborate base would distract from the figure itself, I believe.

Then the entire figure was primed. Too much intricate detail for the spray can so I used the airbrush and Mr. surfacer 1200 as primer.

The priming revealed quite a few overlooked flaws, as expected. Especially on the coat that is still pitted with air bubbles is spite of my earlier attempts at fixing them.

M

Go4fun

Are those pits or bullet holes?
"Just which planet are you from again"?

MichelC

If you're talking about the hole on the right, where the sash is, that's the positioning hole for the sword. The pits are much smaller and not visible on the pic. But still big enough to be a sore to the naked eye. Filling and sanding isn't my favorite modeling activity so I haven't gotten around to doing it yet...

M

Captain Canada

Great improvements ! That really adds to the model, which looked pretty awful for something you actually had to pay for !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

MichelC

Thanks, Captain Canada.

The mini is not not that bad, lots of detail. If you take the time to make the improvements it can turn into a very nice display piece. Let's see what I'll be able to get out of it....

M

philp

Hey Michel, did you ever finish this one?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies