A last minute entry.....

Started by PR19_Kit, June 29, 2014, 06:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

After reading Chris' bit about he'd accept entries that were already in build by July 1st but hadn't been finished, I thought 'No chance there then' until I went down to the kitchen for a drink.

The two 'This is how you make a PR19' models that I mentioned in this thread :-

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,37033.0/highlight,writing.html

were sitting on my sideboard and it occured to me that the U-2 could have been re-built by the Sovs from Mr. Powers aircraft plus the bits from some that crashed in China too. As the canopy is too low it's ALREADY a Whiff, so I'll be looking for some red stars over the next day or so, and a suitable bort no. of course.  ;D

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

McGreig

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 29, 2014, 06:33:24 AM
it occured to me that the U-2 could have been re-built by the Sovs from Mr. Powers aircraft plus the bits from some that crashed in China too

In fact, that's exactly what they did do. The remains of the U-2 were sent to  OKB-49 at Taganrog, led by Beriev and, on August 23 1960, the government issued a decree to reverse engineer the U-2. The Soviet equivalent was designated S-13. It was planned to have the first two machines ready for flight tests in early 1962. This gave the designers and factories less than two years, but substantial work appears to have been done on the ejection seat, parachute, high altitude suit, fuel, engine oil, radio and flight-navigation equipment and photographic reconnaissance equipment as well as on the airframe itself.  A Tu-16 flying laboratory is also said to have been involved with development of the engine, hydraulic and flap systems, landing gear, and the autopilot and tests of wind tunnel models were performed at TsAGI.

However, on May 12, 1962, another governmental decree abruptly cancelled all work on the S-13.

I have only ever seen one photograph of the project, which is said to be of the incomplete first prototype:

It will interesting to see this appear in plastic  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McGreig on June 29, 2014, 11:34:21 AM

It will interesting to see this appear in plastic  :thumbsup:

There it is above.  ;D

There won't be any changes to the model, bar the decals.

I never knew they actually DID it though, and interesting that the work was done at Taganrog. It's a very interesting place, being Beriev's HQ, and one of the few operational airfields in the world with a ramp down to the sea!

Screenie courtesy of Google Earth below.

Regards
Kit

McGreig

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 29, 2014, 01:45:55 PM
There it is above.  ;D There won't be any changes to the model, bar the decals.

Ah, yes. Obvious really, all you have to do is read the first post properly - - -  :rolleyes: